Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com> on 2006/07/18 00:02:13 UTC

struts 1.3.x

I was just checking out the struts website as I try to make my mind up about which version of struts to go with on my current project. Due to interesting work on my latest project with Spring Webflow, I now have some catching up to do with struts.

My pragmatism is telling me to take 1.2.9, but my love of playing is telling me to take 2.0, so it seems 1.3.x is a good compromise. I see struts 1.3.5 is available as a snapshot from the maven snapshot repository.

However there isn't even a link to the javadoc for it on the website that I could find. Is 1.3.5 beta or alpha? Also, where should I be looking for docs of 1.3.x feature enhancements such as chaining?

Also, there have been some quotes about 1.3 that I'd like to find out more about, e.g.:

"In fact, in Struts 1.3, some of the same "convention of configuration" practices are applied in the configuration files: you can define mapping conventions in struts-config.xml without having to define every single action." (from Patrick Lightbody)

Are there any references to this convention of configuration practice for struts 1.3?

Thanks
Adam

Re: struts 1.3.x

Posted by David Evans <ds...@berndtgroup.net>.
Another avenue for exploration at this point is webwork:
http://opensymphony.com/webwork/

this is the basis for for struts 2.0, and its a great framework.
the basic concept remains the same (a url maps to a class method, which
returns a pointer to a resource, usually a view), but there is a lot
more flexibility, in url to method mapping, in request processor flow,
and overall. The  framework seems to respect the users ability to choose
more than 1.x struts.

If you have time, download it and give it a spin, it'll be time well
spent.

dave

Re: struts 1.3.x

Posted by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>.
Ted Husted on 18/07/06 00:31, wrote:
> On 7/17/06, Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com> wrote:
>> However there isn't even a link to the javadoc for it on the website
>> that I could find.
>
> At this point, the Javadoc on Struts 1 website, along with everything
> else, covers 1.3.5.
>
> * http://struts.apache.org/1.x/struts-core/apidocs/index.html
>
> We only tagged the distribution last night, and as others have pointed
> out, we haven't made a formal determination as to the quality yet.

I feel as I've strolled around to a neighbour's house to ask for a coffee and found them putting a new roof on their house!

Thanks for the info.

Michael's post outlined alot of the links I needed and I shall plough through the wiki for more if and when I need it.

Regards
Adam

Re: struts 1.3.x

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
On 7/17/06, Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com> wrote:
> However there isn't even a link to the javadoc for it on the website that I could find.

At this point, the Javadoc on Struts 1 website, along with everything
else, covers 1.3.5.

* http://struts.apache.org/1.x/struts-core/apidocs/index.html

We only tagged the distribution last night, and as others have pointed
out, we haven't made a formal determination as to the quality yet.

-Ted.

Re: struts 1.3.x

Posted by Hubert Rabago <hr...@gmail.com>.
On 7/17/06, Michael Jouravlev <jm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/17/06, Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com> wrote:
> > "In fact, in Struts 1.3, some of the same "convention of configuration" practices are applied in the configuration files: you can define mapping conventions in struts-config.xml without having to define every single action." (from Patrick Lightbody)
>
> Um, I don't know anything about that. I presume Patrick was talking
> about Struts 2.0 based on Webwork.
>
> Michael.

If I had to guess, I'd say Patrick was talking about the mapping
wildcard support we have in Struts 1.x [1].

Hubert

[1] http://struts.apache.org/1.x/userGuide/building_controller.html#action_mapping_wildcards

Re: struts ajax / portlet components

Posted by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>.
Michael Jouravlev on 17/07/06 23:27, wrote:

> I would appreciate if you looked at "Developing Components with
> Struts" page [4] and shared your opinion on whether such a feature
> would be useful. Caution, this is not a feature of 1.3.5 and it is not
> even accepted in future versions yet, this is just a proposal. Do you
> think that Struts components should support JSR-168 portlet spec out
> of the box?

[snip]
> [4]http://wiki.apache.org/struts/StrutsManualActionWebComponent

Very interesting question and one not to be trifled with even by an experienced architect, which I don't even claim to be for a start, so take my opinion with a pinch of salt.

I would say, yes, struts components should implement the portlet spec and should even be configurable so that they work with JSF or at least Shale and JSF as well as struts.

You may want to make the javascript elements configurable to work easily with different Ajax frameworks such as Dojo and/or DWR.

Re: struts 1.3.x

Posted by Michael Jouravlev <jm...@gmail.com>.
On 7/17/06, Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com> wrote:
> Is 1.3.5 beta or alpha?

Neither. The grade will be assigned after voting in about a week. See
dev list for details. 1.3.5 is the fifth build since 1.3.0 and is
being expected to make a GA grade. At least that is the intention of
those who are putting their time into preparing the build and fixing
the glitches.

> Also, where should I be looking for docs of 1.3.x feature enhancements such as chaining?

The RequestProcessor side of chaining is explained in the current
user's guide [1], see 4.2.1 and 4.2.2. Also see WhyChain page in the
wiki [2] and the links on the bottom of it.

For new dispatch action see this page [3].

[1]http://struts.apache.org/1.x/userGuide/building_controller.html#request_processor
[2]http://wiki.apache.org/struts/WhyChain
[3]http://wiki.apache.org/struts/EventActionDispatcher