Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by Paul Marshall <pa...@jambit.com> on 2002/11/13 15:49:12 UTC

streaming out large xml documents to an rpc-based client

Re: streaming out large xml documents to an rpc-based client

Posted by Scott Nichol <sn...@scottnichol.com>.
Serializers do currently write to a stream.  At issue, I believe, is the
fact that Apache SOAP *always* serializes the SOAP envelope into a
string, and then serializes that envelope and any attachments into a
byte array to send.  The latter is done so that an HTTP Content-Length
header can be created.  The former may just be done for no other reason
than that is how the code was originally written.

I have already started contemplating a change to the second step, namely
streaming the response with no Content-Length header.  This is less of a
help on calls with large SOAP envelopes than calls with large
attachments (because, as I said, the SOAP envelopes would already be
serialized to Strings), but it would help a lot of people who are
basically transferring large documents as Strings, byte arrays or DOM
Elements, since those documents could be handled as attachments.
Unfortunately, folks that must interop with .NET would not benefit from
this, since .NET does not support the original SOAP Attachments spec
(which they co-authored), choosing to support DIME exclusively instead.

So, the handling of large payloads is definitely something we are
looking to improve.

If you are interested in exploring alternative technologies to alleviate
your problems, I highly recommend you consider Axis
(http://xml.apache.org/axis/), which may be better than Apache SOAP for
your application.

Scott Nichol

Posted by Paul Marshall <pa...@jambit.com>.
Scott Nichol wrote:
> Paul,
>
> Is the OutOfMemoryException occuring on the server?  What is the Java
> data type of the object you are returning?  Do you use one of the
> supplied serializers, or a custom one?
>
> Scott Nichol

Hi Scott,

Thanks for resoponding.
I'me talking about a custom Class that is serialized/deserialized with a

Posted by Virender Sandhu <vi...@m-trilogix.com>.
Hi Scott Nichol,

It is very important issue, you are right, we should discuss it in this
group.

Virender

Posted by Virender Sandhu <vi...@m-trilogix.com>.
Hi Scott Nichol,

Posted by Paul Marshall <pa...@jambit.com>.

Posted by Scott Nichol <sn...@scottnichol.com>.
The discussion would be of great value to the Apache SOAP user
community.  If you will be discussing proprietary topics, I understand
taking it off-line, but otherwise I encourage you to share your
experience here.

Scott Nichol