Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com> on 2005/03/08 23:50:43 UTC

[VOTE] Documentation source location in subversion

Recently, a vote was approved that the source for the Derby
documentation should be XML DITA format. Details can be found in these
threads:

http://mail-archives.eu.apache.org/mod_mbox/db-derby-dev/200502.mbox/
%3c20050211180100.98392.qmail@web81608.mail.yahoo.com%3e
http://mail-archives.eu.apache.org/mod_mbox/db-derby-dev/200503.mbox/
%3c20050302193138.488.qmail@web81609.mail.yahoo.com%3e

These source files should now be stored in the Subversion repository.
Please vote on one of the following locations to store the source:

1 - in derby/code, with each branch getting its own copy of the source
as applicable, in docs/src

2 - in derby/docs, a new module with a similar trunk/branches/tags
layout underneath to easily match the version of the documentation to
the corresponding code.

3 - a hybrid approach, with the source checked in to derby/code, and
the remaining files necessary to build the docs in derby/docs as
suggested here:

http://mail-archives.eu.apache.org/mod_mbox/db-derby-dev/200503.mbox/
%3c422A3AC1.3010100@bristowhill.com%3e

After reviewing the source, which comprises almost 1100 files (nearly
as many as the engine!), and will have its own building requirements, I
am now thinking that everyone will be happier if the docs are managed
separately from either the code or the website.

My +1 vote goes to option 2.

andrew

Re: [VOTE] Documentation source location in subversion

Posted by Suresh Thalamati <su...@gmail.com>.
+1  for  option 2.

Posted by Danesh Irani <da...@gmail.com>.
+1 to #2.
Shouldnt need to download the documentation unless we want to.

Posted by Edward Rayl <er...@bellsouth.net>.

[RESULT] [VOTE] Documentation source location in subversion

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 14:50:43 -0800, Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Recently, a vote was approved that the source for the Derby
> documentation should be XML DITA format. Details can be found in these
> threads:
>
> http://mail-archives.eu.apache.org/mod_mbox/db-derby-dev/200502.mbox/
> %3c20050211180100.98392.qmail@web81608.mail.yahoo.com%3e
> http://mail-archives.eu.apache.org/mod_mbox/db-derby-dev/200503.mbox/
> %3c20050302193138.488.qmail@web81609.mail.yahoo.com%3e
>
> These source files should now be stored in the Subversion repository.
> Please vote on one of the following locations to store the source:
>
> 2 - in derby/docs, a new module with a similar trunk/branches/tags
> layout underneath to easily match the version of the documentation to
> the corresponding code.

Option 2 passes with seven +1 votes.

I will check the documentation source into Subversion on Monday.

Posted by Satheesh Bandaram <sa...@Sourcery.Org>.
+1 for option 2.

Satheesh

Posted by scott hutinger <s-...@wiu.edu>.