Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by Gareth <ga...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/14 02:15:16 UTC

Logback and Apache Karaf

Hi,

Any plans to make it easy to switch the Pax Logging (now 1.7.0) now bundled
with Karaf to use Logback instead? e.g. like having a:

karaf.loggingbackend = log4j/logback

I ask because I was interested in using logback specific features (e.g.
log4j 1.2 does not support Markers).

thanks in advance,
Gareth

Re: Logback and Apache Karaf

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
I suppose people find the enhanced log4j version sufficient.
A bunch of sutff has been added to the basic log4j embedded in paxlogging,
such as MDCSiftingAPpender, ZipROllingFileAppender, MDCMatchFilter and
missing property based configuration for hierachical bits.

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 4:10 PM, Gareth <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Isn't it though a separate bundle (pax-logging-service vs.
> pax-logging-logback)? From looking at the code it looks like whilst it uses
> the same pid as the pax-logging-service, pax-logging-logback works a little
> differently (the org.ops4j.pax.logging configuration contains a pointer to
> the real logback configuration).
>
> I can do all this myself (download pax-logging-logback to the embedded
> repository, change startup properties to use pax-logging-logback instead of
> pax-logging-service, change the default org.ops4j.pax.logging.properties
> file and add a logback.xml). It would be nice though if karaf could make it
> easier (like it does with the equinox/felix switch).
>
> I am actually surprised that no-one else asked for this. Is logback not
> used
> much?
>
> thanks,
> Gareth

------------------------
Guillaume Nodet
------------------------
Red Hat, Open Source Integration

Email: gnodet@redhat.com
Web: http://fusesource.com
Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/

Re: Logback and Apache Karaf

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Gareth,

I think as you: logback doesn't seem to be used so much.

For instance, I always use slf4j and/or log4j, I never used logback
(because I don't have any needs to do so).

Regards
JB

On 03/14/2013 04:10 PM, Gareth wrote:
> Isn't it though a separate bundle (pax-logging-service vs.
> pax-logging-logback)? From looking at the code it looks like whilst it uses
> the same pid as the pax-logging-service, pax-logging-logback works a little
> differently (the org.ops4j.pax.logging configuration contains a pointer to
> the real logback configuration).
>
> I can do all this myself (download pax-logging-logback to the embedded
> repository, change startup properties to use pax-logging-logback instead of
> pax-logging-service, change the default org.ops4j.pax.logging.properties
> file and add a logback.xml). It would be nice though if karaf could make it
> easier (like it does with the equinox/felix switch).
>
> I am actually surprised that no-one else asked for this. Is logback not used
> much?
>
> thanks,
> Gareth

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: Logback and Apache Karaf

Re: Logback and Apache Karaf

Posted by Ryan Moquin <fr...@gmail.com>.
Hmmmmm let me remember.  I think I included it as a maven dependency on my
bundles and it was installed from the generated feature file.  It was a few
months back so I forget all the details.  I wasn't really sure what the
underlying issue was and if maybe it was a first version of it and had a
few quirks to work out.  Either way, it was very weird what happened.  I
think all the versions of logback might have showed up in the features file
as well.  I can't remember though, it might have been a karaf-maven-plugin
issue as well.  I will have to give it another try.

Ryan

Re: Logback and Apache Karaf

Posted by Gareth <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ryan,