Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Dan Fabulich <da...@fabulich.com> on 2009/04/26 07:01:38 UTC

site-deploy not configured?

I have hit another stumbling block in my neverending quest to release
DbUtils 1.2.

The wiki here http://wiki.apache.org/commons/CreatingReleases says in step
"E.3 Deploy the Site" to run "mvn site-deploy", but that doesn't work.

[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO] Missing site information in the distribution management element in the project..

And this is true.  dbutils/trunk/pom.xml includes a
<distributionManagement> section, but only for the RC profile:

   <profiles>
     <profile>
       <id>rc</id>
       <distributionManagement>
         <!-- Cannot define in parent ATM, see COMMONSSITE-26 -->
         <site>
           <id>apache.website</id>
           <name>Apache Commons Release Candidate Staging Site</name>
           <url>${commons.deployment.protocol}://people.apache.org/www/people.apache.org/builds/commons/${commons.componentid}/${commons.release.version}/${commons.rc.version}/site</url>
         </site>
       </distributionManagement>
     </profile>
   </profiles>

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COMMONSSITE-26 has some interesting
comments and links to other bugs.

Of course, "mvn -Prc site-deploy" works fine, but it just puts the
deployed site in the builds directory; it doesn't actually deploy the
site.  There is no configured site for "-Prelease".

What exactly am I supposed to do at this point to get the site deployed?
I suppose I should manually copy the site from
/www/people.apache.org/builds/commons/dbutils/1.2/RC3/site ?  To where?

-Dan

Re: site-deploy not configured?

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 1:01 AM, Dan Fabulich <da...@fabulich.com> wrote:

> I have hit another stumbling block in my neverending quest to release
> DbUtils 1.2.
>
> The wiki here http://wiki.apache.org/commons/CreatingReleases says in step
> "E.3 Deploy the Site" to run "mvn site-deploy", but that doesn't work.
>
> [INFO]
> [ERROR] BUILD ERROR
> [INFO]
> [INFO] Missing site information in the distribution management element in
> the project..
> [INFO]
>
> And this is true.  dbutils/trunk/pom.xml includes a <distributionManagement>
> section, but only for the RC profile:
>
>  <profiles>
>    <profile>
>      <id>rc</id>
>      <distributionManagement>
>        <!-- Cannot define in parent ATM, see COMMONSSITE-26 -->
>        <site>
>          <id>apache.website</id>
>          <name>Apache Commons Release Candidate Staging Site</name>
>
>  <url>${commons.deployment.protocol}://people.apache.org/www/people.apache.org/builds/commons/${commons.componentid}/${commons.release.version}/${commons.rc.version}/site</url>
>        </site>
>      </distributionManagement>
>    </profile>
>  </profiles>
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COMMONSSITE-26 has some interesting
> comments and links to other bugs.

<snip/>

Yup, so a general <distributionManagement> section (as Siegfried has
articulated later) is used by (some) other components. Haven't looked
at all moving parts in above issue lately to see if the status has
changed on any of those.

-Rahul

Posted by Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.at>.
Hi Dan,

first of all I think your never-ending quest will be finished soon ...
:-) ... this was the motivational part.

Secondly, doing things manually when we are already using M2 is a sign
of defeat (which is fine for me since I get regularly defeated by
Maven). I checked my one and only released commons project
(commons-exec) and I have the following definition

  <distributionManagement>
    <site>
      <id>website</id>
      <name>Apache Website</name>

<url>${commons.deployment.protocol}://people.apache.org/www/commons.apache.org/exec/</url>
    </site>
  </distributionManagement>

As you see - this section is NOT tied to any profile and did work for
me. This is also the case for commons-email so I think your POM is not
100% correct. Having said that it is by far easier to copy your site
manually to "/www/commons.apache.org/dbutils/" than to cut a new release
- so let M2 win that time.

Cheers,

Siegfried Goeschl