Posted to pluto-user@portals.apache.org by Michael Gebhart <li...@miketech.net> on 2006/11/28 17:35:45 UTC

Pluto and WSRP

Hi,

maybe you can help me: Is Pluto "only" an implementation of JSR-168/268?
Or does it also support WSRP? So that I can use Pluto as WSRP producer
and/or consumer.

Or do I have to use WSRP4J for this?

What is the relation of WSRP4J and Pluto? Are you working together?

Can you tell me anything about the WSRP 2.0 implementation? Is there any
work in a reference implementation for this next specification?

Greetings

Mike

Re: Pluto and WSRP

Posted by "David H. DeWolf" <dd...@apache.org>.

Paul_Ioan Fodor wrote:
> Hi,
> I can give you some responses (they may be outdated since is been a few
> months since I used Apache Pluto and WSRP4J). See inline comments:
>
> On Tue, 28 Nov 2006, Michael Gebhart wrote:
>> Hi,
>> maybe you can help me: Is Pluto "only" an implementation of JSR-168/268?
>
> Pluto is the reference implementation of the JSR-168/268. It contains a
> portlet container, but it also has a basic portal driver and a portal
> testsuite (to test your portlets).

Actually to test the Portlet Container/Portal.

It is kind of basic to be used for a
> real portal aplication (its interface is simple, but not very good
> looking, it lacks single sign-on facilities, etc.)

Correct, pluto is about the container (which is embedded within the
portal), not about end users.  It's great (lightweight) for developing
portlets or embedding in applications, but probably not what you're
looking for if you want an enterprise portal.

>> Or does it also support WSRP? So that I can use Pluto as WSRP producer
>> and/or consumer.
>
> No, last version I used was not supporting WSRP.

Correct.  Pluto is only a 168/286 container.

>> Or do I have to use WSRP4J for this?
>
> yes

Correct.

>> What is the relation of WSRP4J and Pluto? Are you working together?
>
> WSRP4J is implemented over Pluto.

that's my understanding as well, but I've never looked at it.  At the
very early stages, the two worked together.  But WSRP got stuck in the
incubator and we (pluto team) haven't really tried to keep up the
collaboration.

That said, I've heard a lot of people wish the two worked more closely
together.  If you're one of those - feel free to jump in.  We'd love to
see it happen and will support it as much as possible.

>> Can you tell me anything about the WSRP 2.0 implementation? Is there any
>> work in a reference implementation for this next specification?
>
> No, I don't think that there is any implementation of WSRP 2.0 yet. I used
> WSRP4J and the Oracle Portal, but neither have implementations of WSRP
> 2.0. Maybe the IBM WebSphere Portal is implementing this next
> specification, but I don't know.

Not sure. . .perhaps Stephan or Carsten, or someone else will chime in
if they've heard. . .

Re: Pluto and WSRP

Posted by Paul_Ioan Fodor <pf...@cs.sunysb.edu>.
Hi,
I can give you some responses (they may be outdated since is been a few
months since I used Apache Pluto and WSRP4J). See inline comments:

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006, Michael Gebhart wrote:
> Hi,
> maybe you can help me: Is Pluto "only" an implementation of JSR-168/268?

Pluto is the reference implementation of the JSR-168/268. It contains a
portlet container, but it also has a basic portal driver and a portal
testsuite (to test your portlets). It is kind of basic to be used for a