Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2012/03/31 17:14:51 UTC

Making it easy for IPMC members to vote in favor of AOO 3.4

Try to imagine yourself in the IPMC, being asked to vote for the release of
AOO 3.4.  You want to make sure the release follows Apache policies and
guidelines.  You want to protect the ASF.  You want to ensure that users,
including developers using our source code packages, get the greatest
benefit from the release.  But you are faced with a 10 million line code
project, larger and more complex than anything you've faced before at
Apache.

What do you do?  Where do you start?

Honestly, I have absolutely no idea.  It is daunting task.  But I think it
is in our best interest as a PPMC to make our AOO 3.4 Release Candidate
easy to review for the IPMC.  This means understanding the common questions
and concerns they might have and preparing answers to these in advance.

I've drafted an outline, and filled in some of the blanks, for a "Summary
of Apache OpenOffice 3.4 IP Review" document on the wiki. I think this will
help raise the IPMC comfort level by documenting in one place the due
diligence we performed and the final results. It also highlights the
unusual things that came up in this project, such as the "mere aggregation"
inclusion of dictionaries in the binary packages.

Here it is:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Summary+of+Apache+OpenOffice+3.4+IP+Review+Activities

Any help in filling in the blanks would be much appreciated, by me (of
course), but hopefully also by the IPMC.   If we should cover other topics,
add those as well.

Regards,

-Rob

Re: Making it easy for IPMC members to vote in favor of AOO 3.4

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 8:48 PM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Mar 31, 2012, at 3:29 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 12:21 PM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>
> wrote:

> >> release
> and
> users,
> code

> >> it
> Candidate
> advance.

> >> "Summary
> this

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Summary+of+Apache+OpenOffice+3.4+IP+Review+Activities

> (of
> >> topics,

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+3.4+Release+FAQ

> release
> >> good
> at
> >>
> >> I think that Marvin and Juergen have had productive conversations on
> >> general@i.a.o
> >>

> > Yes, that is part of what informed the choice of material to present.
>  But
> > it is worth looking beyond that.  The old saying is "every new class of
> > testers finds a new class of bugs".  The same could be said of reviewers.
> > Marvin found one class of issues. Other IPMC members will have their own
> > particular interests and areas of concern.
>
> Wearing my IPMC hat, you've heard what my interests are.

And that is important to note, that some of these are PMC interests, not
user interests, and not even downstream consumer interests.  Downstream
consumers need to be able to build, understand the license and notice
requirements that come with the use of our code.  They do not need to
review the SGA or RAT scans. Those are purely PMC concerns.  So I really
don't see those going into a README file.  But I do think it is important
for us to consolidate that info somepace.

Make the following readily available with a predictable impact on my time
> and a vote for a release will be eased..

This all makes sense to me except the README part.   What would a
downstream consumer do with a RAT scan or a discussion of the SGA?

-Rob

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.