Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com> on 2006/12/25 02:31:21 UTC

[users@httpd] ANN: mod_proxy_html 3.0-dev

I've made a number of significant updates to mod_proxy_html,
and it's working fine for me in a range of tests.
I'd now like to invite testing and feedback from developers
and "bleeding edge" users.

The major new features in mod_proxy_html 3.0 are inspired
by the common requests I've had from users of versions 2.x:

 * Much improved internationalisation/charset support.
   It now works properly with charsets not supported by
   libxml2, such as the "windows-125x" range, and enables
   an administrator to correct for backends that fail to
   supply the information.  It can also generate output
   using any encoding available on the host system.
 * Configurable definition for the set of HTML attributes
   to treat as links and events.  So you can now support
   rewriting proprietary hacks like <td background> by
   declaring them in httpd.conf.
 * Supports various fixups for bogus and deprecated HTML.
 * Supports flexible configuration, through interpolating
   environment variables in ProxyHTMLURLMap rules, and
   supports conditional processing of individual rules.

Other feature requests can still be considered, too!

The next task is to update the documentation further,
notably the tutorial.  The recipes everyone seems to
copy were designed for Apache 2.0 and mod_proxy_html 1.x,
and while they work for later versions, they lead users
into some gotchas in spite of my warnings!

http://apache.webthing.com/mod_proxy_html/

--
Nick Kew

http://www.apachetutor.org/

Re: [users@httpd] ANN: mod_proxy_html 3.0-dev

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 16:19:51 +0100 (CET)
Jens Schleusener <Je...@t-systems-sfr.com> wrote:

> Looking in the source code I have the impression that the
> "proxyHTMLLink" declaration lines contains a small typo and must be
> replaced by "proxyHTMLLinks". At least the configuration check is
> thereafter ok.

Oops!  Thanks for that.  Comes of working too late into the night to
tie up loose ends.  I knew I should've left announcing it 'til today.

:-)

Posted by Jens Schleusener <Je...@t-systems-sfr.com>.
Hi,

On Mon, 25 Dec 2006, Nick Kew wrote:

> I've made a number of significant updates to mod_proxy_html,
> and it's working fine for me in a range of tests.
> I'd now like to invite testing and feedback from developers
> and "bleeding edge" users.
>
> The major new features in mod_proxy_html 3.0 are inspired
> by the common requests I've had from users of versions 2.x:
>
>  * Much improved internationalisation/charset support.
>    It now works properly with charsets not supported by
>    libxml2, such as the "windows-125x" range, and enables
>    an administrator to correct for backends that fail to
>    supply the information.  It can also generate output
>    using any encoding available on the host system.
>  * Configurable definition for the set of HTML attributes
>    to treat as links and events.  So you can now support
>    rewriting proprietary hacks like <td background> by
>    declaring them in httpd.conf.
>  * Supports various fixups for bogus and deprecated HTML.
>  * Supports flexible configuration, through interpolating
>    environment variables in ProxyHTMLURLMap rules, and
>    supports conditional processing of individual rules.
>
> Other feature requests can still be considered, too!
>
> The next task is to update the documentation further,
> notably the tutorial.  The recipes everyone seems to
> copy were designed for Apache 2.0 and mod_proxy_html 1.x,
> and while they work for later versions, they lead users
> into some gotchas in spite of my warnings!
>
> http://apache.webthing.com/mod_proxy_html/
>
> --
> Nick Kew

Thanks for the good (christmassy) news.

But installing 3.0-dev revision 76 and adding in httpd.conf

 LoadFile    /usr/lib/libxml2.so
 LoadModule  proxy_html_module    modules/mod_proxy_html.so
 Include     conf/proxy_html.conf

while checking the apache syntax I got the following error

 $ /usr/local/www/httpd2.2.3/bin/apachectl  configtest
 Syntax error on line 22 of /usr/local/www/httpd2.2.3/conf/proxy_html.conf:
 Invalid command 'ProxyHTMLLink', perhaps misspelled or defined by a module
 not included in the server configuration

Uncommenting the above "Include" I found via

 $ /usr/local/www/httpd2.2.3/bin/apachectl -t -D DUMP_MODULES

the line

 proxy_html_module (shared)

so the corresponding module seems to be loaded correctly.

Looking in the source code I have the impression that the "proxyHTMLLink"
declaration lines contains a small typo and must be replaced by
"proxyHTMLLinks". At least the configuration check is thereafter ok.

Greetings

Jens

--
Dr. Jens Schleusener            T-Systems Solutions for Research GmbH
Tel: +49 551 709-2493           Bunsenstr.10

Re: [users@httpd] ANN: mod_proxy_html 3.0-dev

Posted by Jens Schleusener <Je...@t-systems-sfr.com>.
Hi,