Posted to users@flex.apache.org by jank87 <ja...@informatik.uni-bremen.de> on 2013/07/24 12:03:35 UTC

Captive Runtime Export Debug?

Hi there,

got an issue with the release export (captive runtime package) and
can't figure out why it fails at a certain point. In Flash Builder
Normal/Debug Mode everything works fine. My application uses a lot of
blind approaches with try-catch conditions. May it be the Error throwing
causing a fail? How can I "trace" errors in my export bundle.

Best,
Jan

Re: Captive Runtime Export Debug?

Posted by Martin Miko <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hello Jan,

first of all, given your description it is hard to say what can be causing
your problems, because it can be virtually anything. I've seen similar "odd
behaviour" couple of times, the most common are timing issue that do not
manifest in the debug/profile regime due to some extra stuff that happens
when you run the app this way, followed by "something gets misconfigured or
not included" during the release.

Except the methods Stephen and Gerald mentioned there are quite a few
possibilities here. Since you're using AIR as I got it from your email, you
can set up very simple logger that will log into a file. Another "creative"
option is to swap the optimized swf that the release build outputs. What
you want to do is to replace the app swf in your app's installation folder
with the debug one from project's bin debug folder, run it via adl [1] and
connect with a command line debugger fdb [2][3]. The latter one is a bit
tedious and even might not help in case of timing issues, but on the other
hand it can help in many situations when logging isn't enough.
Alternatively you can use other debug tools for flash/air, unluckily I have
no experience with stuff like monster debugger [4], but I bet google will
gladly help in this case. ;)

[1]
http://livedocs.adobe.com/flex/3/html/help.html?content=CommandLineTools_4.html
[2]