Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Ben Tatham <be...@nanometrics.ca> on 2007/03/21 21:10:25 UTC

plugin runs multiple times

Hello all,
I have a scenario where my plugins (antrun, xdoclet, custom stuff) get
run multiple times.  I think this has something to do with some plugins
forkin a new lifecycle, but I can't figure out:
1) which ones are doing that
2) good description of how to stop this from happening.

I have parent poms defining some plugins, and I have pushed things
around into pluginManagement instead, but this does not seem to help.

-Ben

Re: plugin runs multiple times

Posted by Ben Tatham <be...@nanometrics.ca>.
Yes, I have checked all that.  Everything is declared only once in the
plugins section.  And the ones that are inherited from the parent pom
are also declared in the pluginManagement section, but my understanding
is that the pluginManagement section does not effect the current project.

How do I know which plugins start a new lifecycle?  Or am I totally off
base...

-Ben

Posted by Ben Tatham <be...@nanometrics.ca>.
Indeed, I am using assembly:attached goal.  I am using this to generate
a -jar.jar of my classes so that I can depend on just the classes of the
war project.  Is there a way to make it not do a fork, but just make the
jar for me and install/deploy it?   Nothing jumps out at me from the
maven-assembly-plugin site.

Here is my snippet from the parent pom pluginManagement section...this
parent pom is used by all my web projects.

          <plugin>
            <inherited>true</inherited>
            <executions>
              <execution>
                <id>make-assembly</id>
                <phase>package</phase>
                <goals>
                  <goal>attached</goal>
                </goals>
              </execution>
            </executions>
            <configuration>
              <descriptors>
                <descriptor>src/assembly/jar.xml</descriptor>
              </descriptors>
            </configuration>
          </plugin>

Thanks,
Ben

Posted by Ben Tatham <be...@nanometrics.ca>.
Thanks for looking into it.  I've been doing some reading, and according
to this:

http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-the-lifecycle.html

if the @execute phase=generate-sources is specified on the Mojo (which
it is in this case), you cannot stop the fork from happening.  Its up to
the plugin itself to check if the mojo has already been run on its own.
I noticed that the dependency plugin does this with its markers
directory so it knows not to unpack the dependency again.  Perhaps the
antrun plugin is doing this too, which is why i don't get the 2nd echo
in my example.  I have control over some of my plugins, but
unfortunately, jspc and xdoclet, I don't, and they get run multiple
times (in my realworld case).  Bahhh...

-Ben

Posted by Ben Tatham <be...@nanometrics.ca>.

Posted by Ben Tatham <be...@nanometrics.ca>.
OK.  I have run some test stuff just to try to figure out how this stuff
works...

I added this:
      <plugin>
        <inherited>false</inherited>
        <executions>
            <execution>
                <phase>generate-sources</phase>
                <configuration>
                  <tasks>
                     <echo>********************** Generating
Sources...</echo>
                  </tasks>
                </configuration>
                    </execution>
        </executions>
      </plugin>
to a very simple pom that inherits from my pom that has this:

          <plugin>
            <artifactId>maven-source-plugin</artifactId>
            <executions>
              <execution>
                <goals>
                  <goal>jar</goal>
                  <goal>test-jar</goal>
                </goals>
              </execution>
            </executions>
          </plugin>

I just wanted to see how often my echo comes out...well, of course it
happens the first time through...:

[INFO] [antrun:run {execution: default}]
[INFO] Executing tasks
     [echo] ********************** Generating Sources...
[INFO] Executed tasks
[INFO] [resources:resources]

And then after the tests have all passed, I get the following:

[INFO] [jar:jar]
[INFO] Building jar: C:\work\util\BenTatham\target\util-1.0.3-SNAPSHOT.jar
[INFO] Preparing source:jar
[WARNING] Removing: jar from forked lifecycle, to prevent recursive
invocation.
[INFO] [antrun:run {execution: default}]
[INFO] Executing tasks
[INFO] Executed tasks
[INFO] [source:jar {execution: default}]
[INFO] Building jar:
C:\work\util\BenTatham\target\util-1.0.3-SNAPSHOT-sources.jar
[INFO] Preparing source:test-jar
[WARNING] Removing: jar from forked lifecycle, to prevent recursive
invocation.
[WARNING] Removing: test-jar from forked lifecycle, to prevent recursive
invocation.
[INFO] [antrun:run {execution: default}]
[INFO] Executing tasks
[INFO] Executed tasks
[INFO] [source:test-jar {execution: default}]
[INFO] Building jar:
C:\work\util\BenTatham\target\util-1.0.3-SNAPSHOT-test-sources.jar

Notice that although the echo itself didn't happen, it does say it is
running antrun and executing tasks.

Now I am even more confused than before!  Please help...

-Ben

Posted by Ben Tatham <be...@nanometrics.ca>.

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.