Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Simon Nash <na...@hursley.ibm.com> on 2006/10/04 19:45:59 UTC

SCA Java samples for M2

I'm planning to go through all the SCA Java samples, building them
and runnning them, to make sure that they work.  We also need to
consider whether this is the right set of samples to introduce
users to the capabilities of SCA and Tuscany.

Right now we have the following in the samples/sca directory.

Samples that are currently building:
   bigbank
   calculator
   eagerinit
   echo.binding
   echo.databinding
   helloworldJavaScript
   helloworldws
   helloworldws-celtix
   helloworldwsclient
   local.wire
   local.wire.cdi
   spring.simple
   supplychain
   webapp

Samples that are not currently building:
   helloworld.rmiReference
   helloworld.rmiService
   helloworldjsonrpc
   helloworldwsclientOM
   helloworldwsOM
   inner.composite
   simplecallback
   spring

For a first pass I would assume that we are intending to deliver the
former list in our M2 binary release but not the latter.  Is this
a correct assumption?  Should any of the "not building" samples be
included?  Should any of the "building" samples be excluded?
Should we be adding any more samples that are currently not in
either list?

 From a quick look through these lists, I have the following questions.

1. It is my understanding that we are including RMI, so presumably
    we need the RMI samples.

2. It is my understanding that we are not including celtix in the
    binary release, so presumably we don't need the celtix sample.

3. I don't know whether we will be including Spring, so I'm not
    whether we will need the spring.simple sample.

   Simon

Re: SCA Java samples for M2

Posted by Venkata Krishnan <fo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Simon,

I shall get the RMI samples up by tomorrow for sure.

Thanks

- Venkat

Re: SCA Java samples for M2

Posted by Andy Piper <an...@bea.com>.

Re: SCA Java samples for M2

Posted by Venkata Krishnan <fo...@gmail.com>.
Hi...

I have posted a patch on the JIRA to fix the RMI samples.  Now they must
work with the current state of the Standalone.

http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TUSCANY-799

Thanks

- Venkat

Re: SCA Java samples for M2

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.
On Oct 5, 2006, at 7:14 AM, ant elder wrote:

> On 10/5/06, Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> I think organizing the samples like this is a good idea. I'd suggest
>> going one step further and place each sample with the implementation
>> of the service that it is illustrating. That way it becomes much
>> easier to tag/release each module on its own.
>

> I'm not sure I follow "place each sample with the implementation of
> the
> service that it is illustrating" , do you mean something like:
>
> samples/helloworld/java
> samples/helloworld/javascript
> samples/calculator/java
> samples/calculator/javascript
>
> Or do you mean include them with the extension so the JavaScript
> folder
> would include samples/helloworld and samples/calculator? I didn't
> think Jim
> liked this way, from the previous thread - "In other words, each
> sample
> project should not be a sibling to the project containing extension
> code but
> should go under a samples folder in separate projects".

Yes, I mean moving the samples into (e.g.) the Javascript folder so
that JavaScript becomes a standalone module that can be treated as a
single item when it comes to building/releasing. We've seen from sdo
and das that grouping things in that way makes this much much easier.

--
Jeremy

Re: SCA Java samples for M2

Posted by Venkata Krishnan <fo...@gmail.com>.
Hi...

Yes this makes sense to me.

- Venkat

where I'd like to put component implementations

Re: SCA Java samples for M2

Posted by Ken Tam <ke...@gmail.com>.
Right -- I was just elaborating on Jeremy's earlier statement re: one
motivation for packing extension-specific samples with the extensions
themselves:

On 10/5/06, Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org> wrote:
>I think organizing the samples like this is a good idea. I'd suggest
>going one step further and place each sample with the implementation
>of the service that it is illustrating. That way it becomes much
>easier to tag/release each module on its own.

and pointing out that the existence of samples using multiple
extensions inherently complicates (though not ruling out) scenarios
like tagging/releasing extension modules separately.

Re: SCA Java samples for M2

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@hursley.ibm.com>.
Ken,

Re: SCA Java samples for M2

Posted by Ken Tam <ke...@gmail.com>.
+1.

Re: SCA Java samples for M2

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.
On Oct 6, 2006, at 1:57 AM, ant elder wrote:

> Ok I think we're getting some agreement but I'd like to be clear
> everyone
> agrees and is happy before I make any changes. Sounds like for
> things like
> the Groovy/JavaScript/etc helloworld and calculator type samples
> they would
> go with the extension, I'm guessing samples that use just sca and
> java would
> go in an sca/samples directory. Samples that use multiple
> extensions but
> still just SCA would also go in the sca/samples directory, and
> there'd be a
> top level samples directory for things like bigbank that use sca/
> sdo/das.
>
> So:
>
> samples/bingbank
> das/samples/companyweb
> sca/samples/calculator
> sca/services/containers/container.javascript/src/samples/calculator
>
> Comments?

+1
--
Jeremy

Re: SCA Java samples for M2

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@hursley.ibm.com>.
Venkat,
+1 from me.  This seems exactly right.

   Simon

Venkata Krishnan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd prefer to have business samples under 'samples' itself.  I perceive
> that
> technology samples will go to the respective project directories and all
> others are to demonstrate the cool things of combining containers,
> transports - the integration story and they would all get under samples
> i.e.
> samples/BigBang, samples/SupplyChain .. and so on.
>
> - Venkat
>

> On 10/7/06, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I guess I was thinking that the technology type samples would be the ones
>> that are now moved further down into the folder hierarchy so the only
>> thing
>> left up at the top would be the business samples so there wasn't the need
>> for the two folders 'samples' and 'sampleapps' so sampleapps might as
>> well
>> just be renamed to samples to keep everything consistent.
>>
>> Please anyone say if they disagree with that. I'd also still like to hear
>> comments or suggestions on all this from others who've expressed an
>> interest
>> in the samples in the past before I make the changes -  Jim , Rick,
>> Simon?
>>
>>    ...ant
>>
>> On 10/6/06, Brent Daniel <br...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Previously we had discussed having a "sampleapps" directory to
>> > distinguish "business samples" from technology samples.[1] Do we want
>> > to continue this distinction?
>> >
>> > Brent
>> >

>> > [1] -
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/tuscany-dev@ws.apache.org/msg01812.html

>> > everyone
>> > like
>> > would
>> java
>> > would
>> but
>> there'd
>> > be a
>> > sca/sdo/das.

>> > suggest
>> > implementation

>> of

>> extension
>> re-

Simon C Nash   IBM Distinguished Engineer
Hursley Park, Winchester, UK   nash@hursley.ibm.com
Tel. +44-1962-815156   Fax +44-1962-818999

Re: SCA Java samples for M2

Posted by Jim Marino <jm...@myromatours.com>.
On Oct 10, 2006, at 1:26 PM, ant elder wrote:

> All i was suggesting for right now was moving the entire top level
> samples
> folder as-is to sca/samples and renaming the top level sampleapps
> folder to
> be samples. I don't think there's consensus on anything else yet.
One thing I would be against is having the samples built from the
main checkin build under /sca. If that's not the case (i.e. samples
are not built by the default goal) then my preference would be to
have a more definite plan before we moved stuff.  If people feel
moving these around prior to getting a plan in place is progress, and
there are no other objections, then I'd be o.k. (again as long as the
samples are not part of the main build). Ultimately, I think our
release manager needs to chime in given our goals of delivering
something soon...

Jim

Re: SCA Java samples for M2

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: SCA Java samples for M2

Posted by Jim Marino <jm...@myromatours.com>.

Re: SCA Java samples for M2

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
Also, as I think there has been some consensus on large parts of this how
about making some incremental changes? For example, I think there's
agreement that the vast majority of the existing top level 'samples' folder
would move to 'sca/samples', and that the top level folder which contains
bigbank will be renamed from 'sampleapps' to 'samples'. So how about I go
ahead and make those changes now? I'll go ahead and do this unless I hear

Re: SCA Java samples for M2

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: SCA Java samples for M2

Posted by Rick <cr...@gmail.com>.
I see value that we know they still build and we may have in the future some
unit tests for these too.  I agree the was is still lacking is an integration
test - which does not run during normal build.

Integration test environment: SCA Java samples for M2

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.
On Oct 9, 2006, at 12:52 PM, Rick wrote:

> Not really part of this thread, but a question that came to mind
> because of it; would an integration test deploy and use Tomcat like
> we had before?  If we ever got to using a continuum type build in
> apache would that be an issue ? Opening and sending through a
> socket at build/test time ?

I think doing that kind of thing would be an important part of an
integration test environment. For example, we would want to deploy
webapps not only to Tomcat but also Geronimo, Jetty, GlassFish,
JBoss, WebLogic, WebSphere, etc. We'd also want to get integration
between e.g. Tuscany and raw Axis2 or Geronimo with J2EE1.4
webservices or between the Java, C++, PHP, etc variations of Tuscany.

That's one big reason why I think this needs to be separate from the
developer build. Not everyone is going to be able to install all
those environments, or run the suite in an environment where they all
work (think about trying to do development on an airplane).

--
Jeremy

Re: SCA Java samples for M2

Posted by Rick <cr...@gmail.com>.

Re: SCA Java samples for M2

Posted by Kevin Williams <ke...@qwest.net>.
I agree.

Re: SCA Java samples for M2

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@hursley.ibm.com>.
Jeremy,
I understand the reasoning (thanks for restating it) and as I
said, this is a good long term goal.  The question had been
raised (not by you) about whether or not the samples should
continue to be built as part of the regular build, and I was
responding to that discussion.

   Simon

Re: SCA Java samples for M2

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.

Re: SCA Java samples for M2

Posted by Jim Marino <jm...@myromatours.com>.

Re: SCA Java samples for M2

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@hursley.ibm.com>.

Re: SCA Java samples for M2

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.

Re: SCA Java samples for M2

Posted by Andy Piper <an...@bea.com>.

Re: SCA Java samples for M2

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.

Re: SCA Java samples for M2

Posted by Rick <cr...@gmail.com>.

Re: SCA Java samples for M2

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: SCA Java samples for M2

Posted by Venkata Krishnan <fo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: SCA Java samples for M2

Posted by Venkata Krishnan <fo...@gmail.com>.

Re: SCA Java samples for M2

Posted by Jim Marino <jm...@myromatours.com>.

Re: SCA Java samples for M2

Posted by Venkata Krishnan <fo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: SCA Java samples for M2

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: SCA Java samples for M2

Posted by Brent Daniel <br...@gmail.com>.

Re: SCA Java samples for M2

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: SCA Java samples for M2

Posted by Jim Marino <jm...@myromatours.com>.

Re: SCA Java samples for M2

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: SCA Java samples for M2

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.
I think organizing the samples like this is a good idea. I'd suggest
going one step further and place each sample with the implementation
of the service that it is illustrating. That way it becomes much
easier to tag/release each module on its own.

Also, the samples that are in "java" and "echo" need the "standalone"
installation to run so how about grouping them with that?
The web-app based ones ("webapp" and potentially "bigbank") don't
need the user to download/install the standalone installation at all
and we could package those as a separate unit as well.

--
Jeremy

Re: SCA Java samples for M2

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.