Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Henning Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de> on 2003/06/19 15:12:52 UTC

RE: Decimal Number support

I hope that noone will ever regret to get involved with turbine
development. :-)

How can you help? Well, easiest thing would be to ask yourself "which
part of Turbine hurts me most". I'm sure that every turbine developer
would come up with a different part. :-)

If you're somehow seasoned with the maven development tool, one of the
things that we really could need for the 2.3 release would be a simple,
skeletal build environment with some preset configuration files for
turbine, log4j and torque, and a simple way to generate a project.xml
file for "your new turbine project". The current tdk is simply to
cumbersome and aged to really work well. I admire the work that Martin
did to get a 2.2 TDK out but with maven around we might get a simpler,
better working and easier to understand development environment from
maven and a few tools.

So this would be a really cool place to work on. I can send you some
demo apps that I threw together for demonstrating various aspects of
Turbine (you'll find links in the -dev archive, else I can send them to
you) and you would have to put together some build scripts.

What platform do you normally work on? Windows or Unix/Linux? As far as
I can see, we could really need some more people testing the HEAD on
Windows.

	Regards
		Henning

On Wed, 2003-06-18 at 22:19, Bill wrote:
> Ok, I'm gonna regret this...but how can I help at this point? :)
>
> I dont have a ton of time, but what time I do have, I'd be more than
> willing to give.
>
> I'm probably not nearly as savvy a java coder as the three of you, but
> consider me at your service if I can speed things along.
>
> -b
>
> On Wed, 2003-06-18 at 15:05, Quinton McCombs wrote:
> > I don't recall that discussion although I have only been active on the
> > lists for about 8 - 9 months.  I do know that the development of Turbine
> > is not only for support releases.  Turbine 2.3 has been the continuation
> > of clean up and bug fixes.  There have been very few new features added.
> >
> > Turbine 2.4 should should add Avalonization and a backport pipeline
> > functionality from Turbine 3.  Both of these changes are geared to give
> > the user much greater flexibility in extending the product while at the
> > same time reducing the interdependencies between the various services.
> >
> > With the release of 2.4, I think that you will see that it is much
> > easier to change views and persistence layers.  You will also be able to
> > use components from other projects in Turbine.  For example, if you want
> > to use the quartz scheduler, Hibernate, or a few components from the
> > Plexus/Summit project, they should work without a problem.
> >
> > Turbine is not dead.  It is moving rather slowly though.  Henning has
> > been committing 90% of all of the changes lately.  I have been unable to
> > work on the project for a little over a month now.  Eric mainly focuses
> > of his new configuration stuff and unit testing.  We are the only three
> > active developers on the project.

> > Quinton McCombs
> > NequalsOne - HealthCare marketing tools
> > mailto:qmccombs@NequalsOne.com
> > http://www.NequalsOne.com

Dipl.-Inf. (Univ.) Henning P. Schmiedehausen       -- Geschaeftsfuehrer
INTERMETA - Gesellschaft fuer Mehrwertdienste mbH     hps@intermeta.de

Am Schwabachgrund 22  Fon.: 09131 / 50654-0   info@intermeta.de
D-91054 Buckenhof     Fax.: 09131 / 50654-20

Re: Decimal Number support

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
"Colin Chalmers" <co...@maxware.nl> writes:

>"We are the only three active developers on the project."

No, Bill sent the message as a personal mail to Eric, Quinton and me and
I took the liberty to Cc my answer to turbine-dev so that all the other
people here get some coverage.

	Regards
		Henning

RE: Decimal Number support

Posted by Quinton McCombs <qm...@nequalsone.com>.
> On Thu, 2003-06-19 at 15:34, Bill wrote:
> > Henning
> >
> > Not really strong with maven yet, but I'll give it all I
> got if thats
> > where you need help.  Why dont you send me the stuff you
> mentioned and
> > I'll go from there.  I work exclusively on linux, however I am not
> > above doing windows work if it'll benefit this project.
> >
> > Might take me a day or two to familiarize myself with the developer
> > links and processes, I've never really worked on an OS
> project before.
> >
> > Also, wanted to ask you....way back when, there was
> discussion on the
> > list as to the future of this project.  I kinda got the impression
> > that work on Turbine was moving toward focusing on making Turbine a
> > services component for Avalon.  Was I entirely mistaken on
> this?  The
> > thread kinda jumped around so I was never really sure what
> the outcome
> > of it was.

This is what we are calling Avalonization.

RE: Decimal Number support

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de>.
Hi,

could you please send your messages to the
turbine-dev@jakarta.apache.org mailing list, so that all of the
developers get the messages? Thanks. If you're not subscribed there, you
can find instructions on the turbine website on how to join the
developers list. This is an open mailinglist to everyone that's
interested.

	Regards
		Henning

RE: Decimal Number support

Posted by Colin Chalmers <co...@maxware.nl>.
"We are the only three active developers on the project."

Hhmm, that's not much. If my patches were to get checked in I could probably
work on a few other bits & pieces. I have a lull between projects at the
moment.

Colin