Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Mark Womack <mw...@apache.org> on 2006/01/31 22:16:05 UTC

[VOTE] Release log4j 1.3alpha8

http://cvs.apache.org/builds/logging/log4j/log4j-1.3a8

I'd like to move on this.  I won't be available Thursday or Friday to
push the release to dist.

+1

-Mark

Re: [VOTE] Release log4j 1.3alpha8

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
+1

Jake

Posted by Mark Womack <mw...@apache.org>.
So, I assume I can copy out the /trunk up one level and then delete
/trunk.  That should fix this tag mess.

-Mark

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mark Womack <mw...@apache.org>.
On 2/1/06, Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Feb 1, 2006, at 11:04 AM, Mark Womack wrote:
>
> > I'm pretty sure that I did not update to the latest site contents
> > before doing the a8 build.  Oversight on my part.  If that makes a
> > concrete difference, then we should -1 and do it again.
> >
> > (Have I mentioned that I really dislike having a dependency on a
> > separate repo?)
> >

> log4j no longer depends on the "logging-site" module.  However the
> content on http://logging.apache.org/log4j is generated from the
> files in src/xdocs.

Erg.  This is still bad if someone updates the site before the release
is approved and ends up copying up the modified download page.  But
ok.  Seems like site release should be handled separately from project
release.

Author: mwomack
Date: Mon Jan 30 21:08:58 2006
New Revision: 373711

Log:
Tagging for 1.3 alpha 8 build

Added:
   logging/log4j/tags/v1.3alpha8/trunk/
     - copied from r373710, logging/log4j/trunk/

Is the "trunk" part for the tag messed up?

> I do not see any reason in the current bylaws that the log4j-dev vote
> and the pmc vote can not be concurrent.  I do think that releases
> need to be approved by the PMC, but it should not have to add any
> time.  Just post the call for vote on both lists.

Just seems weird that the PMC might approve a release that the project rejects.

> In this case, I would suggest:
>
> 1. Copy the contents of log4j/trunk to log4j/tags/v1.3alpha8
> 2. Update the contents of log4j/trunk/src/xdocs/download.xml and
> other files to reflect pending release of log4j 1.3alpha8
> 3. Announce the results of the vote
> 4. Prepare signatures for the tarball and zip currently on
> cvs.apache.org
> 5. Copy existing tarball and zip to dist server.
> 6. Update http://logging.apache.org/log4j

I tried to do #1 on 1/30 as part of the current build.

There is still the issue of the FileWatchdog failure in Gump brought
up by Scott on general.

Posted by Mark Womack <mw...@apache.org>.
Official release of 1.3alpha8 is in limbo due to concerns by the PMC
about the intermittent FileWatchdog test failures in Gump.  I looked
at addressing the failures on Saturday, but did not reach a solution
as it is hard to actually reproduce the failure.

We'll either address the failures or release as is (since they are
intermittent).  You can monitor general@ yourself or I will let folks
know the status later today.

-Mark

Posted by Mark Womack <mw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
On Feb 1, 2006, at 11:04 AM, Mark Womack wrote:

> I'm pretty sure that I did not update to the latest site contents
> before doing the a8 build.  Oversight on my part.  If that makes a
> concrete difference, then we should -1 and do it again.
>
> (Have I mentioned that I really dislike having a dependency on a
> separate repo?)

log4j no longer depends on the "logging-site" module.  However the
content on http://logging.apache.org/log4j is generated from the
files in src/xdocs.

> -Mark
>
> On 2/1/06, Mark Womack <mw...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Not sure what you are looking at to determine ant version.  If I look
>> at the jar files in the dist image, the manifest clearly says it was
>> built with ant 1.6.5.

My bad.  My comparison build was done with Ant 1.6.4 and I
misinterpreted the diff output.

>> I re-copied the alpha8 tag after applying all of the latest build/
>> test
>> related changes in the log4j repo.

I did not see a SVN commit message and the contents and log for
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/logging/log4j/tags/v1.3alpha8/
build.xml do not indicate that the "breakiterator" change and the
restoration of the DLL build.

svn log http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/logging/log4j/tags/v1.3alpha8/
build.xml
svn diff http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/logging/log4j/tags/
v1.3alpha8/build.xml http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/logging/log4j/
trunk/build.xml

>> I have not applied any changes or
>> tags to the site repo, so I am guessing that is what you are talking
>> about here.  I can make a tag (somehow as you describe).

Not what I was talking about.

>> There will
>> be another tag in site for the actual changes for the 1.3a8 dist
>> release (updating download.xml, other 1.3a8 info, etc).

I'm uncomfortable with changes occurring after voting.  My preference
would be that the checksum of the tarballs and zips not change
between the call for a vote and placing the release on the
distribution servers.  One of the things that I check when there is a
call for a vote is that I am able to reproduce the build (other than
expected differences like timestamps), hopefully to prevent the build
from being dependent on something on the build machine and to
increase the odds that we can make maintenance releases.  Making
changes after preparation of the release candidate invalidates the
effort and that has to be done yet again and with little recourse if
some problem slipped in.

The release policy for httpd (http://httpd.apache.org/dev/
release.html) may be instructive, however they use the terms alpha
and beta in different manner where alpha we might call release
candidate.

Posted by Mark Womack <mw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mark Womack <mw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.