Posted to soap-user@xml.apache.org by Tim Read <tr...@lsi.uned.es> on 2001/10/27 10:35:29 UTC

Soap 2.2 and Tomcat 4 problems..

Hi,

After spending several days trying to install Soap with Tomcat and getting
no where, I hoped that someone here might be able to help me.

I am using jdk 1.3.1, Soap 2.2, Tomcat 4, latest versiĆ³n of Xerecs.jar,
bsf.jar, activation.jar, mail.jar, and am working on Windows2000 platform,
and my CLASSPATH variable has the following value:

echo %CLASSPATH%
c:\tomcat\lib\xerces.jar;c:\tomcat\lib\soap.jar;c:\tomcat\lib\activation.jar
;c:\tomcat\lib\mail.jar;

I put soap.war in the Tomcat webapps dir, and after starting Tomcat can
access the router
and use the admin tool to see that there are no services deployed. I am also
using the TcpTunnelGui
to monitor soap messages. When I try to deploy the deployment descriptor for
anything (either
one of the samples or something I have written) I wrote I get the following
error:

java org.apache.soap.server.ServiceManagerClient
http://localhost:8070/soap/servlet/rpcrouter deploy javaxml2\CD
Catalog.xml
Exception in thread "main" [SOAPException: faultCode=SOAP-ENV:Client;
msg=Parsing error, response was:
The markup in the document preceding the root element must be well-formed.;
targetException=org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: The markup in the document
preceding
the root element must be well-formed.]
        at org.apache.soap.rpc.Call.invoke(Call.java:250)
        at
org.apache.soap.server.ServiceManagerClient.invokeMethod(ServiceManagerClien
t.java:129)
        at
org.apache.soap.server.ServiceManagerClient.deploy(ServiceManagerClient.java
:142)
        at
org.apache.soap.server.ServiceManagerClient.main(ServiceManagerClient.java:2
30)

And the last part of the message that the TcpTunnelGui shows is:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<SOAP-ENV:Envelope
<SOAP-ENV:Body>
<ns1:deployResponse xmlns:ns1="urn:xml-soap-service-mana

Which looks to me like Tomcat is not returing all the response...

The interesting thing is that if I use the admin tool and check for deployed
services,
it shows the application as correctly deployed.

However, from the command line, if I try to list the deployed services:

java org.apache.soap.server.ServiceManagerClient
http://localhost:8070/soap/servlet/rpcrouter list
Exception in thread "main" [SOAPException: faultCode=SOAP-ENV:Client;
msg=Parsing error, response was:
The markup in the document preceding the root element must be well-formed.;
targ
etException=org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: The markup in the document
preceding
the root element must be well-formed.]
        at org.apache.soap.rpc.Call.invoke(Call.java:250)
        at
org.apache.soap.server.ServiceManagerClient.invokeMethod(ServiceManagerClien
t.java:129)
        at
org.apache.soap.server.ServiceManagerClient.list(ServiceManagerClient.java:1
51)
        at
org.apache.soap.server.ServiceManagerClient.main(ServiceManagerClient.java:2
37)

And in TcpTunnelGui, I get the following message:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<SOAP-ENV:Envelope
<SOAP-ENV:Body>
<ns1:listResponse xmlns:ns1="urn:xml-soap-service-management-service"
<return xmlns:ns2="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/"
xsi:type="ns2:Array" ns2:arr

Which, while different from the previous message, once again seems to be cut
short....

Needless to say that attempting to call the service, it does not work
(although Tomcat finds the class ok):

java javaxml2.CDAdder http://localhost:8070/soap/servlet/rpcrouter "Riding
the Midnight Train" "Doc Watson"
Adding CD titled 'Riding the Midnight Train' by 'Doc Watson'
[SOAPException: faultCode=SOAP-ENV:Client; msg=Parsing error, response was:
The markup in the document preceding the root element must be well-formed.;
targ
etException=org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: The markup in the document
preceding
the root element must be well-formed.]
        at org.apache.soap.rpc.Call.invoke(Call.java:250)
        at javaxml2.CDAdder.add(CDAdder.java:34)
        at javaxml2.CDAdder.main(CDAdder.java:61)

And in TcpTunnelGui, I get the same type of cut short message:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<SOAP-ENV:Envelope
<SOAP-ENV:Body>
<ns1:addCDResponse xmlns:ns1=