Posted to dev@xmlbeans.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2011/11/16 17:57:41 UTC

shrinking the runtime?

I'd like to replace some of our roll-your-own xml parsing / serializing with
xmlbeans, however, I'm hesitating because our entire core Jar is about 1.2 MB,
which includes a lot of things (including our roll-your-own stuff for xml),
while the xmlbeans runtime jar appears to be 2.7 MB.

I saw an earlier Jira, https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/XMLBEANS-264 to
create a smaller runtime jar, that was marked "won't fix" because the runtime
has a dependency on compilation and the typesystem.  Is there a pointer to some
documentation that explains the runtime compilation etc.?  I had thought that
xmlbeans has a compile-time "build" of Java classes from XSDs, and was unaware
it was doing compilations during runtime.

Thanks for any pointers to more details about this. -Marshall

Re: shrinking the runtime?

Posted by Cezar Andrei <ce...@oracle.com>.
Marshall,

We thought about trying to split out XMLBeans into a smaller runtime jar, but our conclusion was that the entire schema code would have had to be taken out which is not useful anymore. The compiler by itself is quite small so there is no size benefit if it is taken out.

To be clear, for normal usage, there is no compilation going on at runtime, but schema information/type system is required for loading, validation, set/add values in the tree etc. at runtime, and this info is the big part of the jar.

Cezar