Posted to dev@cayenne.apache.org by Nikita Timofeev <nt...@objectstyle.com> on 2017/02/24 08:54:43 UTC

[VOTE] 4.0.M5 release v2

Hi all,

I'm published new files for 4.0.M5 release and you can start voting (again).
The only difference should be fix for CAY-2242.

Here are links:
Maven: https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecayenne-1013
Assemblies: https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/cayenne/4.0.M5/

Sorry for inconvenience, hope this one will be promoted to the official release.

--
Best regards,
Nikita Timofeev

Re: [VOTE] 4.0.M5 release v2

Posted by Michael Gentry <bl...@gmail.com>.
Still on my to-do list, but I've just been short on time.  I should be able
to get to it tomorrow or this weekend at the latest, but don't let my
schedule hold things up if we get enough votes!

I'm not opposed to more frequent releases since, if nothing else, it makes
the project seem more active to outsiders.

mrg

Re: [VOTE] 4.0.M5 release v2

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
Thanks Nikita!

Andrus

Re: [VOTE] 4.0.M5 release v2

Posted by Hugi Thordarson <hu...@godurkodi.is>.
Thanks for all your hard work guys! The progress Cayenne has made in the last few months is amazing and M5 is awesome.

- hugi

Re: [VOTE] 4.0.M5 release v2

Posted by Nikita Timofeev <nt...@objectstyle.com>.

--
Best regards,
Nikita Timofeev

Re: [VOTE] 4.0.M5 release v2

Posted by Nikita Timofeev <nt...@objectstyle.com>.
Hi all,

As we have everything required for the M5 release I'm going to
complete it today.

Thank you for your votes and ideas!

On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 4:49 PM, Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org> wrote:

>>> On Mar 2, 2017, at 11:55 AM, Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Would it help if we set up a Jenkins job to create the build artifacts then we have an easier to verify chain from source checkout to artifact creation?
>>
>> It most certainly will. How do we sign the files though?
>
> There can still be a step of downloading the files from jenkins, signing and uploading. md5 hashes are still there for verifying the Jenkins output is intact.
>
> I'm not sure how we verify that Jenkins itself isn't compromised, but perhaps we can ask what others do.
>

> Ari
>

> --
> -------------------------->
> Aristedes Maniatis

Best regards,
Nikita Timofeev

Re: [VOTE] 4.0.M5 release v2

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.

Re: [VOTE] 4.0.M5 release v2

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Re: [VOTE] 4.0.M5 release v2

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.
Here's my +1. I reviewed the OSX version and modeler against my work schema.

I think more frequent releases are a good thing. Would it help if we set up a Jenkins job to create the build artifacts then we have an easier to verify chain from source checkout to artifact creation?

Ari

Re: [VOTE] 4.0.M5 release v2

Re: [VOTE] 4.0.M5 release v2

Posted by Savva Kolbachev <s....@gmail.com>.
As I remember we already did several voting attempts before (3 attempts for
4.0.M2 and 2 attempts for 4.0.M3) and there were no confusions. I think
it's okay to keep the same release version in such situations.

Looks like this time the confusion comes from the "[VOTE] 4.0.M5 release
v2" subject of the mail thread that has been treated as voting for
4.0.M5-v2 or something. Yeah, it's definitely better to have clearer
subject like "[VOTE] 4.0.M5 second attempt" etc.

If we don't want to have several voting attempts for the same release
version, I think we could discuss it in the different thread. But in this
case I would suggest to continue voting as we don't have frequent releases
and each of them is a party :)

I have been able to successfully check the release, so here is my +1.

--
Best Regards,
Savva Kolbachev

Re: [VOTE] 4.0.M5 release v2

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Re: [VOTE] 4.0.M5 release v2

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
Since I was the one who advised Nikita to stick with M5, let me comment on this. I am aware that many projects at Apache increment their build numbers upon failed votes. I just felt there wasn't really any logical justification for it in our case, and we'd be doing it entirely out of puristic reasons.

> For the future, we should never "unrelease" anything.

I agree with "no unrelease", but we haven't "released" anything yet. We just posted some files for review.

> Since you didn't delete the artifacts I already downloaded to my machine, there is confusion.

PMC members know exactly what happened. So I don't think that's a problem for them. And if we are concerned about an outside person who may have downloaded those artifacts, then I don't think that renaming the final set to M6 would make any difference. In both cases someone would get stuck with a signed but unapproved copy of M5.

The only remotely possible cause for confusion that I can think of is if an outside person used that temporary Maven repo, and now the M5 artifacts are stuck in his local ~/.m2/repository and they need a manual refresh. Again, I am hoping this won't confuse any of the PMC members.

Andrus

Re: [VOTE] 4.0.M5 release v2

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.

--