Posted to dev@drill.apache.org by Parth Chandra <pa...@apache.org> on 2016/09/07 00:48:39 UTC

[DISCUSS] Release cadence

As we discussed in the hangout today, based on the last few releases, it
looks like a slightly longer time period between releases is probably
called for. The 1.7 release was almost four months and folks had started
asking questions about the release while the 1.8 release was done in much
less time and we found quite a few show stopper issues at the last minute.
It seems that a three month cycle is probably appropriate at this time
since that does not keep folks waiting for a new release and also provides
enough time for the team to test things thoroughly before a release.

What does everyone think?

Parth

Re: [DISCUSS] Release cadence

Posted by Jacques Nadeau <ja...@dremio.com>.
+1 on the versioning scheme and the rest.

--
Jacques Nadeau
CTO and Co-Founder, Dremio

Re: [DISCUSS] Release cadence

Posted by Parth Chandra <pa...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Release cadence

Posted by Jinfeng Ni <jn...@apache.org>.
My understanding is three month cycle is a general guideline.  As long
as it's communicated to dev/user lists, drill dev/user community can
know the time frame for next new release.

It makes sense to switch three month cycle, since it gives people more
time to implement / test new features before a release.

Re: [DISCUSS] Release cadence

Posted by Jacques Nadeau <ja...@dremio.com>.