Posted to infrastructure-dev@apache.org by Thomas Koch <th...@koch.ro> on 2010/12/22 08:56:27 UTC

Test instance of Gerrit?

Hi,

the topic of official GIT repos for apache projects has been raised again a
few weeks ago on infrastructure-dev@a.o.[1] However I can't see who is doing
what in which direction over there, if anything is moving at all.

[1] http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.infrastructure.devel/1151

I proposed a draft for a requirements document for the GIT setup and suggested
to give Gerrit a try. There hasn't been a reply however since more than two
weeks. Gerrit is a repository manager developed for the android project and
also used by the repository foundation. It includes patch review, workflow and
CLA-tracking.

[2] http://code.google.com/p/gerrit/

Now my question is, whether there's some interest from developers to give
Gerrit a try? In this case, I'd setup a private toy instance and import your
project.
I don't want to shoot anybody from infrastructure-dev@a.o in the back. I just
think it would help to have some hands-on experience so that people can make
better judgements.

Best regards,

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro

Re: Test instance of Gerrit?

Posted by Thomas Koch <th...@koch.ro>.
Owen O'Malley:
> On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 11:56 PM, Thomas Koch <th...@koch.ro> wrote:
>
> Now my question is, whether there's some interest from developers to give
>
> > Gerrit a try? In this case, I'd setup a private toy instance and import
> > your
> > project.
>
> I'll give it a try. Could you import hadoop common, hdfs, and mapreduce?
>
> -- Owen
Hi Owen,

The gerrit instance is running on http://koch.ro:8080
Projects imported are ZooKeeper and Hadoop-(common|hdfs|mapreduce).
Since Gerrit is a Patch review system, you don't "see" anything about the
projects but only get a list of patches waiting for review.

You can upload a patch like

git push ssh://koch.ro:29418/PROJECT/NAME \
LOCAL_REF:refs/for/DESTINATION-BRANCH/OPTIONAL-TAG

I used:
git push ssh://koch.ro:29418/zookeeper/zookeeper \
ZOOKEEPER-823_on_tlp:refs/for/trunk/ZOOKEEPER-823

you may want to use sth. like:

git push ssh://koch.ro:29418/hadoop/mapreduce \
MY_BRANCH:refs/for/trunk

The project names are
hadoop/common, hadoop/hdfs and hadoop/mapreduce.

I'm available on Freenode as thkoch at CET working hours.

Best regards,

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro

Re: Test instance of Gerrit?

Posted by Thomas Koch <th...@koch.ro>.
Owen O'Malley:

Re: Test instance of Gerrit?

Posted by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 9:09 AM, Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 11:56 PM, Thomas Koch <th...@koch.ro> wrote:
>
> Now my question is, whether there's some interest from developers to give
>> Gerrit a try? In this case, I'd setup a private toy instance and import
>> your
>> project.
>>

> I'll give it a try. Could you import hadoop common, hdfs, and mapreduce?

Please make sure the imports are from git.apache.org to avoid different
hashes.

Thanks,
  Owen

Re: Test instance of Gerrit?