Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Daniel Gaddy <dg...@sparctech.com> on 2002/04/08 21:57:23 UTC

Apache 1.3.24 Errors - Please help if possible!

I installed Apache 1.3.24 for Windows 2000 Pro, and I setup my httpd.conf
file as I believe is correct. I researched and read up from apache's website
the usage of virtual name hosting. I am using currently one IP address for 5
domains, 2 of the five are currently registered to my dns servers, and the
others we will move over and setup mail on and everything AFTER we are 100%
positive that apache IS in fact working correctly. I am currently running my
httpd.conf file successfully, as it does not fail to start or anything like
that, and there are no ERRORS, but there are WARNINGS that I am not sure why
they are there. I have read the faq for the old version of Apache, as 2.0's
faq is not yet out, and I am not seeing any issues for these particular
warnings, as the majority of the faq's are *nix based, not windows... Yea
yea, I know, I love Linux as well, but I have to run what my boss makes me
run. :) Well, as far as the warnings, when I click on my TEST CONFIGURATION
icon within my apache directory on my start menu, I get this:
[DATE] [warn] NameVirtualHost www.sparctech.com:80
<http://www.sparctech.com:80> has no VirtualHosts
[DATE] [warn] NameVirtualHost www.onewirenet.com:80
<http://www.onewirenet.com:80> has no VirtualHosts
APACHE CONFIG FILE DIRECTORY - Syntax OK
Now, here is the key parts of my httpd.conf file:
1)Listen 24.242.177.229:80
2)Port 80
3)ServerName 24.242.177.229
4)NameVirtualHost www.technalithics.com:80 <http://www.technalithics.com:80>
5)NameVirtualHost www.sparctech.com:80 <http://www.sparctech.com:80>
6)NameVirtualHost www.personalharddrive.com:80
<http://www.personalharddrive.com:80>
7)NameVirtualHost www.rover-phd.com:80 <http://www.rover-phd.com:80>
8)NameVirtualHost www.onewirenet.com:80 <http://www.onewirenet.com:80>
9)<VirtualHost www.technalithics.com:80 <http://www.technalithics.com:80>>
ServerAdmin postmaster@technalithics.com
<ma...@technalithics.com>
DocumentRoot c:/webserver/webs/technalithics
ServerName www.technalithics.com <http://www.technalithics.com>
</VirtualHost>
10)<VirtualHost www.sparctech.com:80 <http://www.sparctech.com:80>>
ServerAdmin postmaster@technalithics.com
<ma...@technalithics.com>
DocumentRoot c:/webserver/webs/sparctech
ServerName www.sparctech.com <http://www.sparctech.com>
</VirtualHost>
11)<VirtualHost www.personalharddrive.com:80
<http://www.personalharddrive.com:80>>
ServerAdmin postmaster@technalithics.com
<ma...@technalithics.com>
DocumentRoot c:/webserver/webs/personalharddrive
ServerName www.personalharddrive.com <http://www.personalharddrive.com>
</VirtualHost>
12)<VirtualHost www.rover-phd.com:80 <http://www.rover-phd.com:80>>
ServerAdmin postmaster@technalithics.com
<ma...@technalithics.com>
DocumentRoot c:/webserver/webs/rover-phd
ServerName www.rover-phd.com <http://www.rover-phd.com>
</VirtualHost>
13)<VirtualHost www.onewirenet.com:80 <http://www.onewirenet.com:80>>
ServerAdmin postmaster@technalithics.com
<ma...@technalithics.com>
DocumentRoot c:/webserver/webs/onewirenet
ServerName www.onewirenet.com <http://www.onewirenet.com>
</VirtualHost>
Here is a couple of my dns files just for any tech's troubleshooting
ability. I am currently maintaining our own company based dns server, mail
server, web server, and ftp server all in one. FTP is using WebWeaver
currently, mail is using Software 602 LanSuite 2002, dns is using Bind
9.2.0, and web is pretty obvious. The following excerpts are from my
sparctech.db and onewirenet.db dns files, seeing as how they are the sites
getting the warnings from apache.
SPARCTECH.DB
$ttl 86400
@ IN SOA ns1.technalithics.com. hostmaster.technalithics.com. (
10000025 ; Serial
3600 ; Refresh
300 ; Retry
3600000 ; Expire
3600 ) ; Minimum
@ IN NS ns1.technalithics.com.
IN NS ns2.technalithics.com.
sparctech.com. IN A 24.242.177.229
mail IN A 24.242.177.229
www IN CNAME sparctech.com.
sparctech.com. IN MX 5 mail.sparctech.com.
ONEWIRENET.DB
$ttl 86400
@ IN SOA ns1.technalithics.com. hostmaster.technalithics.com. (
10000020 ; Serial
3600 ; Refresh
300 ; Retry
3600000 ; Expire
3600 ) ; Minimum
@ IN NS ns1.technalithics.com.
IN NS ns2.technalithics.com.
onewirenet.com. IN A 24.242.177.229
mail IN A 24.242.177.229
www IN CNAME onewirenet.com.
onewirenet.com. IN MX 5 mail.onewirenet.com.
As you see, I clearly have a VirtualHost for www.sparctech.com:80
<http://www.sparctech.com:80> and www.onewirenet.com:80
<http://www.onewirenet.com:80>, yet it doesnt see it when I test the
configuration. I did some searching on the net for the same type of
problems, and unfortunately was unable to find anything specific to my
situation. If anyone has any ideas on what I might be doing wrong, or not
noticing, I would love to get the feedback. The funny thing is that though
it tells me there is no virtualhost for that address, the website is still
being hosted perfectly by Apache. Technically, there is NOTHING wrong on the
usage side; however, I dont like seeing the warnings if they arent suppose
to be there. I just dont know if they are or arent.
Thanks for whatever help is possible,
Daniel

Re: Apache 1.3.24 Errors - Please help if possible!

Posted by Admin <ko...@naisp.net>.
First of all...why is it, that you don't use your domain name as
the "servername"?  Instead of the IP address?

second, why is it that you inserted the port# on  each virtual?...plus your own
as well...seeing as the "port" line already reads 80 itself? That doesn't make
sense !
and I can see why your server is so confused...it's showing no syntax errors
only because you've not configured any, but you got it so confused,....it
doesn't
know which port to use, for which domain.
You don't need to insert those for each domain...(unless you wish to have them
accessed
that way...for say, SSL)

anyway, you need to send your config file as it is...so we can actually see
whats wrong...
without you adding numbers, and paranthesesis etc.

<******** http://www.myispnet.net ********>
Admin -  My ISP Network
admin@myispnet.net
ICQ# 7110071
MSN Messenger= myispnet@hotmail.com

Re: Apache 1.3.24 Errors - Please help if possible!

Posted by Andrew Hawkes <ah...@unicon.net>.
Daniel,

Instead of all those NameVirtualHosts, all you should need is a single
line:

NameVirtualHost 24.242.177.229

This line merely tells Apache that you will be using that IP address for
VirtualHosts. The actual hostnames, and their configurations, go in their
respective <VirtualHost> sections exactly as you have them.

-Andy