Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Glenn Parsons <gp...@1bigthink.com> on 2005/01/10 23:04:57 UTC

Can't compile mod_jk 1.2.8

Hello All,

I know just enough to be dangerous.. not enough to know what is blowing my
mod_jk build.

I am on a super-fast dual 3.2GHz machine running CentOS (RedHat ES 3.0)
with Apache 2.0.46-38, JDK 1.5.0_01, Tomcat 5.5.4 and Ant 1.6.2.

Neither Apache, nor Tomcat have been fully configured yet, so they aren't
running, but all environment variables are in place.

I downloaded source and attempted to build from
$(Source_dircetory)/jk/native, first with .configure, then make. Configure
seems to do okay, except it does not find Apache. I told it to use apxs
anyway. Make always breaks, see my output:

./configure --with-apxs=/usr/sbin/apxs --with-java-home=${JAVA_HOME}
--with-java-platform=2 -enable-jni
checking for gawk... gawk
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking dependency style of gcc... none
checking for ld used by GCC... /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
checking for /usr/bin/ld option to reload object files... -r
checking for BSD-compatible nm... /usr/bin/nm -B
checking for a sed that does not truncate output... /bin/sed
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking how to recognise dependent libraries... pass_all
checking command to parse /usr/bin/nm -B output... ok
checking for egrep... grep -E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking dlfcn.h usability... yes
checking dlfcn.h presence... yes
checking for dlfcn.h... yes
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for strip... strip
checking for objdir... .libs
checking for gcc option to produce PIC... -fPIC
checking if gcc PIC flag -fPIC works... yes
checking if gcc static flag -static works... yes
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.lo... yes
checking if gcc supports -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions... yes
checking whether the linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
checking dynamic linker characteristics... GNU/Linux ld.so
checking whether -lc should be explicitly linked in... no
creating libtool
checking for test... /usr/bin/test
checking for rm... /bin/rm
checking for grep... /bin/grep
checking for echo... /bin/echo
checking for sed... /bin/sed
checking for cp... /bin/cp
checking for mkdir... /bin/mkdir
checking for snprintf... yes
checking for vsnprintf... yes
need to check for Perl first, apxs depends on it...
checking for perl... /usr/bin/perl
building connector for "apache-2.0"
checking for target platform... unix
no apache given
jni enable (need JDK)
checking for JDK location (please wait)... /usr/java/jdk1.5.0_01
checking Java platform... forced Java 2
checking os_type directory...  linux
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating apache-1.3/Makefile
config.status: creating apache-1.3/Makefile.apxs
config.status: creating apache-2.0/Makefile
config.status: creating apache-2.0/Makefile.apxs
config.status: creating common/Makefile
config.status: creating common/list.mk
config.status: creating jni/Makefile
config.status: creating common/portable.h
[root@service native]# make
Making all in common
make[1]: Entering directory
`/root/jakarta-tomcat-connectors-1.2.8-src/jk/native/common'
/bin/sh /usr/bin/libtool --silent --mode=compile gcc -I/usr/include/httpd
-g -O2 -DHAVE_JNI -O2 -g -pipe -march=i386 -mcpu=i686
-DSSL_EXPERIMENTAL_ENGINE -I/usr/kerberos/include -pthread -DHAVE_APR
-I/rpmbuild/skvidal/rpm/BUILD/httpd-2.0.46/prefork/srclib/apr/include
/rpmbuild/skvidal/rpm/BUILD/httpd-2.0.46/srclib/apr/include -g -O2
-DHAVE_JNI -DLINUX=2 -D_REENTRANT -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500 -D_BSD_SOURCE
-D_SVID_SOURCE -D_GNU_SOURCE -I /usr/java/jdk1.5.0_01/include -I
/usr/java/jdk1.5.0_01/include/linux -c jk_ajp12_worker.c
gcc: cannot specify -o with -c or -S and multiple compilations
make[1]: *** [jk_ajp12_worker.lo] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/root/jakarta-tomcat-connectors-1.2.8-src/jk/native/common'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

Any help or suggestions would be kindly appreciated!

Thanks,
Glenn Parsons

believed to be clean.
http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/
Configuration by Glenn Parsons dnsadmin-at-1bigthink.com

Re: Can't compile mod_jk 1.2.8

Posted by Glenn Parsons <gp...@1bigthink.com>.
At 02:19 AM 1/11/2005, you wrote:

>Glenn Parsons wrote:
>>Hello All,
>>I know just enough to be dangerous.. not enough to know what is blowing
>>my mod_jk build.
>>I am on a super-fast dual 3.2GHz machine running CentOS (RedHat ES 3.0)
>>with Apache 2.0.46-38, JDK 1.5.0_01, Tomcat 5.5.4 and Ant 1.6.2.
>
>The issue was addressed on the list couple of days ago.
>Take a look at:
>Mod_JK 1.2.8, gcc 3.4.3 on Linux RH ES3 - compile error thread
>from Jan. 5th.
>The solution is to download and compile the latest
>Apache 2.0.52 version.
>
>Mladen.

Thank you ALL for your advice on this matter! I found the mod_proxy links,
lent by Ben, earlier in the thread, very insightful and will frequently
revisit them.

I will, however compile the Apache sources as per Mladen, as this was my
first instinct.

I need mod_jk because I am serving some/little static content on Apache,
but use Apache mostly for mod_php4. Tomcat is the real engine here, but
there is some php content that will fare better under Apache.

Thank All!

Re: Can't compile mod_jk 1.2.8

Posted by Mladen Turk <ml...@jboss.com>.

Re: Can't compile mod_jk 1.2.8

Posted by Troy Simpson <ch...@gmail.com>.
This is just a guess, but try it without the "--with-java-home=..." setting.

./configure --with-apxs=/usr/sbin/apxs

I'm working with the following on Sun Solaris 8:
Tomcat 5.0.28
Apache 2.0.52
mod_jk 1.2.8

I was using Tomcat 5.5.4, but was having problems, so I dropped back
to the 5.0.x branch.

Good Luck,
Troy

--
Troy Simpson
  Applications Analyst/Programmer, OCPDBA, MCSE, SCSA

Re: Can't compile mod_jk 1.2.8

Posted by Parsons Technical Services <pa...@earthlink.net>.
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_proxy.html
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/faq/connectors.html#vs

Posted by Ben Ricker <br...@brick.net>.

Re: Can't compile mod_jk 1.2.8

Posted by Troy Simpson <ch...@gmail.com>.
Parsons...

How would mod_proxy() work?
How is it used?
I have not used it.

Thanks,
Troy

Re: Can't compile mod_jk 1.2.8

Posted by Parsons Technical Services <pa...@earthlink.net>.
May I ask is there a reason that you need Apache?

If yes, then is there any special reason for jk rather than mod_proxy(I
think)?

Just thought it might save you some headaches, that is unless you like that
kind of thing.

Doug