Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Eyal Golan <eg...@gmail.com> on 2009/02/24 13:35:09 UTC

Application.CONFIGURATION

Hi,
It's been a long time since I've written in this mailing list.

Here's my question:
I was looking for a way to set the mode to DEVELOPMENT in the Jetty starter
while setting DEPLOYMENT in the web.xml.
I encountered the following thread:
http://www.nabble.com/dummy-question%2C-how-to-set-wicket-in-Deloyment-mode--td13364304.html#a13364498

In there there is this line:
System.setProperty("wicket.configuration", "development");

I am using Wicket 1.3.4
Wicket Application class has a static filed called CONFIGURATION, which is
without the 'wicket' part.

Why doesn't it have a static 'wicket.configuration' ?
Wouldn't it be better?

Thanks

Eyal Golan
egolan74@gmail.com

Visit: http://jvdrums.sourceforge.net/
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/egolan74

P  Save a tree. Please don't print this e-mail unless it's really necessary

Re: Application.CONFIGURATION

Posted by James Carman <jc...@carmanconsulting.com>.
If you're using Spring, you can set up your application instance in
your spring context and then use a PropertyPlaceholderConfigurer to
substitute in what you want.  Wicketopia's archetype uses this method
(along with Maven profiles to choose which property files to include).

Posted by Brill Pappin <br...@pappin.ca>.
IMO I like it the way it is because it makes it very simple to change
it at runtime... in your case you simply run jety, adding a param tot
eh comamnd line: eg.

java -Dwicket.configuration=deployment com.jetty.Start

I can do that easily at any time and reconfigure things on various
servers to get what I need... if I did that in code, I'd still have to
have some sort of switch to put it onto dev or prod mode... so why
bother?

- Brill Pappin

Posted by Brill Pappin <br...@pappin.ca>.
<chuckle> so have I, as I think most developers have...  :)

- Brill

Posted by James Carman <jc...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by Brill Pappin <br...@pappin.ca>.
But don't you run the risk of deploying a development version to
production by mistake?
If you simple start the container in production with the runtime flag,
it will be the same WAR (EAR) for both... no rebuild after testing.

Anyway, I'm sure it works :)

- Brill

Posted by Eyal Golan <eg...@gmail.com>.
Brill,

Posted by Brill Pappin <br...@pappin.ca>.

Posted by Eyal Golan <eg...@gmail.com>.
> What do you mean? there is!
>  public static final String CONFIGURATION = "configuration";
> (Application.java line 119 on 1.3.5)

Exactly - I was looking for 'wicket.configuration' rather than just
'configuration.

> BTW, there is a getConfigurationType() method in WebApplication, which
> should not be static.

And we use this method ...

Posted by Marcelo Morales <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 11:49 AM, Eyal Golan <eg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Marcelo and James.
>
> I still prefer the solution we have come to:
> In the web.xml put deployment and in the Jetty plugin (StartWebServer) put
> the development.

Thats a best practice AFAIK

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 7:49 AM, Eyal Golan <eg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My question was why Application.java doesn't have 'wicket.configuration' as
> a static field.
> Wouldn't it be nice?

no, it wouldnt be nice. why would you have a name of a *system
property* defined as a public field? the usecase is not that someone
will do system.setproperty, the usecase is that someone will do
-Dprop=foo. even if we did have it defined it would be private static.

-igor

Posted by Eyal Golan <eg...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Marcelo and James.

Posted by Marcelo Morales <ma...@gmail.com>.