Posted to c-users@xalan.apache.org by Sami Islam <sa...@detewe.de> on 2004/04/27 09:16:47 UTC

How come there is no conversion from XalanDOMString to char*?

Hello,
I would like to print out the result of a Xpath evaluation.
I see that I have to convert the XalanDOMString to CharVectorType first
and then iterate and print out single characters. Why isn't there a
XalanDOMString member that returns a char*?

Regards,

Sami Islam
Software Entwickler
DeTeWe Informationssysteme + Consulting GmbH
Abteilung Healthcare
--
Lilienthalstrasse 5
D-30916 Isernhagen

Re: AW: AW: How come there is no conversion from XalanDOMString to char*?

Posted by Soheila Bashardoust-Tajali <st...@ca.ibm.com>.
Sami,

You can find the definition of this c_str(...) inline function in:
<xalanc/PlatformSupport/DOMStringHelper.hpp>

Hope this can help.

Soheila

"Sami Islam" <sa...@detewe.de>
04/27/2004 11:09 AM
Please respond to
xalan-c-users

<xa...@xml.apache.org>
cc

Subject
AW: AW: How come there is no conversion from XalanDOMString to char*?

Soheila,
Where are you getting c_str( ) from?

Sami
Posted by Sami Islam <sa...@detewe.de>.
Soheila,
[...]

Posted by da...@us.ibm.com.
Hi Sami,

Please do not post rich-text and graphical images to this new group.  There
will be subscribers who will want to follow the conversation, and even
reply, but will not be able to because your posting will not be readable
for them.

Your problem is you are not linking your project correctly.  Please make
sure you are building using the Multithreaded DLL runtime libraries.  For a
debug release, use the Debug Multithreaded DLL runtime, and for a release
build, use the Multithreaded DLL runtime.  You can find out how to do this
by looking at the documentation for whatever version of Visual Studio
you're using.

Dave

|---------+--------------------------->
|         |           "Sami Islam"    |
|         |           <sami.islam@dete|
|         |           we.de>          |
|         |                           |
|         |           04/27/2004 08:39|
|         |           AM              |
|         |           Please respond  |
|         |           to xalan-c-users|
|---------+--------------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                                                          |
  |        To:      <xa...@xml.apache.org>                                                                                           |
  |        cc:      (bcc: David N Bertoni/Cambridge/IBM)                                                                                     |
  |        Subject: AW: AW: How come there is no conversion from XalanDOMString to char*?                                                    |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Hello,
This is my code:
for(size_t i=0; i<numNodes; ++i)
{
      XalanNode* const node = theNodeList.item(i);
      XalanDOMString  str;

      const int theType = node->getNodeType();

      if (theType == XalanNode::COMMENT_NODE ||
       theType == XalanNode::PROCESSING_INSTRUCTION_NODE)
       str = node->getNodeValue();
      else if (theType == XalanNode::ELEMENT_NODE)
       str = node->getNodeName();
      else
       DOMServices::getNodeData(*node, str);

      const CharVectorType localCharVec(TranscodeToLocalCodePage(str));

      cout << &*localCharVec.begin();
}

In debug mode when I step over the line
const CharVectorType localCharVec(......)... I get a "User Defined
Breakpoint".
When I run the program I get this error dialog

What am I doing wrong? I don't get the error when I run the sample
XPathWrapper program.

Sami
      For converting XalanDOMString type to char* type, you should do these
      two conversions:

      -conversion from UTF-16 to UTF-8
                      CharVectorType        your-target-vector;
                      TranscodeToLocalCodePage( const XalanDOMString&
      your-string,  your-target-vector, false);
      -conversion from UTF-8 to char*
                      const  char* const        your-charp =
      c_str(your-target-vector);

      you can manipulate your-target-vector char by char then.

      Soheila

 "Sami Islam"
 <sa...@detewe.de>

 04/27/2004 10:34 AM                       <xa...@xml.apache.org>
                                                                        cc

      Please respond to                                            Subject
        xalan-c-users                      AW: How come there is no

Posted by Sami Islam <sa...@detewe.de>.
Hello,
This is my code:
*******************
for(size_t i=0; i<numNodes; ++i)
{

******************

Re: AW: How come there is no conversion from XalanDOMString to char*?

Posted by Matthew Hoyt <mh...@ca.ibm.com>.

Sami,

samples/XPathWrapper shows an example of using TranscodeToLocalCodePage.

-Matt.

             "Sami Islam"
             <sami.islam@detew
             e.de>                                                      To
                                       <xa...@xml.apache.org>
             04/27/2004 10:34                                           cc
             AM
                                                                   Subject
                                       AW: How come there is no conversion
             Please respond to         from XalanDOMString to char*?
               xalan-c-users

Posted by Sami Islam <sa...@detewe.de>.

Re: How come there is no conversion from XalanDOMString to char*?

Posted by Dmitry Hayes <dm...@ca.ibm.com>.

Hi Sami!
XalanDOMString is designed to contain UTF16 string . To be more explicit ,
it contains an array of UCS-2 code points.
You can use CharVectorType when you want to represent UTF-8 strings.
Note that you can't represent every code point of UTF-16 as simply  C/C++
"char" .

Dmitry