Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Bill Sutton <bi...@ozewebhost.com> on 2005/04/20 09:06:00 UTC

Many hosts sharing servlets

I am moving from jserv to tomcat.

I have 100+ servlets and classes that I want to be available to up to 100
virtual hosts. The server I am moving to runs RHE3 with Apache2, Plesk and
Tomcat4. Plesk only supports the mod_webapp connector. I can't find much
info on mod_webapp but it seems to me that each virtual host must have its
own webapps deployed.

So I have tried to put all the classes into /var/tomcat4/shared/classes.
In each host, I deploy a servlets.war file that contains only the following
WEB-INF/web.xml file -
    <!DOCTYPE web-app
    <web-app>
        <display-name>Glogal servlets</display-name>
        <description>
          Global servlets.
        </description>
        <servlet-mapping>
            <servlet-name>invoker</servlet-name>
            <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
        </servlet-mapping>
    </web-app>

This is working on the few hosts I tried so far. I can link to a servlet
using http://a-host.com/servlets/MyServlet.

Questions
Is there a better way to do this ?
Will tomcat be using hugely more memory than jserv was ?
Should I abandon Plesk, use Cpanel and configure apache/tomcat manually (but
I don't want to have to ssh in and configure each new host manually) ?

Thanks
Bill

Re: Many hosts sharing servlets

Posted by Bill Sutton <bi...@ozewebhost.com>.
Thanks for your quick reply. Yes I have read the pros & cons and I would
prefer not to use the invoker but the work in updating many webapps each
time a servlet changes is daunting, particularly using Plesk.

Bill

Posted by QM <qm...@brandxdev.net>.
Please post a *new* message when writing to the list.  Replying to
an old (unrelated) message confuses thread-aware mailers, which makes
your question harder to find (and thus answer).