Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Murali Reddy <Mu...@citrix.com> on 2013/12/19 13:24:39 UTC

[PROPOSAL] region level VPC and guest network spanning multiple zones

I would like to propose two networking models enhancements for ACS 4.4
release that will enable building highly available applications. Currently
VPC in CloudStack is a zone level entity. So tiers with in the VPC are
confined to the zone to which VPC belongs. For an application deployed in
current model of VPC failure of the zone is a single point of failure. It
is desirable to make VPC a region level entity, where tiers in the VPC can
be created in different zones of the region. When tiers can be created in
different zones, application hosted in VPC can be architected to be highly
available masking zone failures by having redundant tiers in different
zones. While it may be seen as natural extension, there are fundamental
limitations with VLAN/traditional L2 based networking due to which
realizing it would be non-trivial or require special solutions [1].
Overlay networks [2] in the context of SDN & network virtualization
provides a way to build networks that are abstracted from
physical/underlay network. An overlay network is typically built with
tunnels across edge(vSwitch's in hypervisor) and core is plain L3 network.
With requirement that L3 connectivity across zones and tunnels can be
established across the zones, an overlay network that spans multiple zones
is easily realized.

Given the range of SDN controllers that are integrated with CS, goal of
this proposal is to leverage advances in SDN & network virtualization
introduce below generic notions into CS.

- an advanced zone isolated network that can span multiple zones
- a region level VPC where tiers belong to different zones.

I have opened bugs [3],[4] to track these two enhancements. As part of the
effort I would like to extend the current OVS plug-in (that builds overlay
network with GRE tunnels) to realise these two use-cases. I have opened
bug [5] to track this enhancement.

As long as we establish tunnels across the zones, we can have overlay
networks that are functional, but would be inefficient in handling
east-west traffic [6] and BUM traffic. While the problems exist in the
overlay networks that are confined to a zone as well, they are compounded
when the network spans multiple zones resulting in high cross-zone
east-west traffic. I would be sending out a complementary proposal to
introduce distributed routing and ACL's for east-west traffic and ARP
localisation that will allow only legitimate cross zone east-west traffic.

I will send out a functional specification with detailed requirements,
assumptions, limitation etc once I make progress with these enhancements.
Please share any feedback and comments.

[1]
http://www.networkworld.com/news/tech/2010/090310-layer2-data-center-interc
onnect.html
[2]
http://etherealmind.com/introduction-to-how-overlay-networking-and-tunnel-f
abrics-work/
[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-5567
[4] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-5568
[5] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-5569
[6]
http://blog.ipspace.net/2011/02/traffic-trombone-what-it-is-and-how-you.htm

Re: [PROPOSAL] region level VPC and guest network spanning multiple zones

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.
Ah OK. Just want to make sure that traffic accounting for access to in-DC
services is separate even though it may go through the same interface as
the public traffic.

Posted by Murali Reddy <Mu...@citrix.com>.

http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonVPC/latest/UserGuide/VPC_Subnets.html#VPCS

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Murali Reddy <Mu...@citrix.com>.
Sanjeev,

Please see answers inline. You may want to also check out
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/OVS+Tunnel+Manager+f
or+CloudStack for general limitation etc.

Some of the question are good points that needed to be in FS, I will add
them where ever appropriate.

On 09/04/14 4:54 AM, "Sanjeev Neelarapu" <sa...@citrix.com>
wrote:

>Hi ,
>
>Following are the review comments on the FS posted @
>https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Region+level+VPC+an
>+guest+network+spanning+multiple+zones:
>
>How many guest networks we can scale using SDN?

We could have theoretical maximum of 2^32 -1 GRE keys, so if CloudStack
can spin up networks in that order, there should not be any limitation
from OVS to create overlay networks.

>Do we support mixed networks in a zone (VLAN+Tunnel)?

Yes its possible to use VLAN and overlay networks in same zone. There is
no constraint preventing.

>Any limitation on the number of zones an SDN network can span?

No

>What are the services supported by SDN networks?
>What are the services supported by region level VPC?

There is no restriction on the services supported. Think OVS overlay
networking solution as a L2/L3 solution. You can still choose all the
services available for VLAN networks.

>With SDN networks do we support any external devices?

No not at the moment as external devices can not understand tunnelled
(GRE) traffic.

>Do we support SGs with SDN?

No.

>Do we support monitoring for SDN controller and the GRE tunnels between
>the hosts across zones?

There is no real-time status gathering if tunnelling functioning as
expected. Ideally once you establish tunnel it should just work as
seamlessly as VLAN's.

>What are the alerts and events generated by the controller?

None.

>With SDNs do we support zones with mixed hypervisors?(e.g: zone1 with xen
>and zone2 with ESX)

Only XenServer, KVM are supported.

>If vpc is tied to a zone can we have the tiers spanned across multiple
>zones?

Yes

>If vpc is region level do we have control on the zone in which VR has to
>be deployed?

Yes, you still have start creating a VPC in a zone/

>Networks spanning across multiple zones is applicable only to vpc
>networks(tiers) or any guest network which is not part of vpc as well?

Both for the VPC tiers and regular isolated/shared networks.

>Do we support SDNs in an upgraded environment?

Yes

>Can we upgrade vlan based networks to SDN and vice-versa?

Yes, its possible

>Upgrading zone level vpc to region level vpc and vice-versa?

No

>What are the external dependencies for the SDN to work (ports need to be
>opened on the zone level firewalls)?

Yes, GRE traffic need to be permuted across the zones.

RE: [PROPOSAL] region level VPC and guest network spanning multiple zones

Please find the FS for this proposal at below link. I will be sending out a different proposal covering the enhancements called out in the FS.

Posted by Murali Reddy <Mu...@citrix.com>.