Posted to jmeter-dev@jakarta.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2005/11/22 22:03:13 UTC

[Proposal] Require minimum of Java 1.4 for next release of JMeter

JMeter 2.1.1 runs using Java 1.3 or later, as do most earlier versions
of JMeter.

However, it is very time-consuming ensuring that JMeter will run on Java 1.3;
and even though JMeter does run on 1.3, it does not perform very well.

There are also some functions of JMeter that don't work properly,
because of "features" in 1.3 that won't now be fixed.

Therefore, I'd like to suggest that we stop supporting Java 1.3, and
assume a minimum of Java 1.4 from now on.

Comments?

S.

Re: [Proposal] Require minimum of Java 1.4 for next release of JMeter

Posted by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com>.
Given the results of the survey you took over the summer, I would think it's
pretty safe. Jdk1.3.x is rather old now and supporting it is un-necessary
over head.

we probably should make a branch and document it on the website in case a
few straggling users are forced to use jdk1.3.1. Even IBM has jdk1.4 now, so
there really shouldn't be any platform stuck on jdk1.3.1.

+1 on moving forward with jdk1.4

peter