Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2011/11/14 12:35:37 UTC

Code donation for JMeter

Just wanted to check what is the procedure for accepting a code donation.

A compamy that uses JMeter has produced a plugin that they would like
to give to JMeter.
I've not seen it yet, but it is apparently about 10 classes written
in-house with no external dependencies.

So what do we need (if anything) before we can accept the code?

Re: Code donation for JMeter

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 1:18 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 14 November 2011 11:39, Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> So what do we need (if anything) before we can accept the code?
>>
>> At least a cooperate cla on file:
>> http://www.apache.org/licenses/cla-corporate.txt
>
> I thought corporate CLAs were only for the benefit of committers, not the ASF?

I am not sure on that, but when I read:
http://www.apache.org/licenses/

"For a corporation that has assigned employees to work on an Apache
project, a Corporate CLA (CCLA) is available for contributing
intellectual property via the corporation, that may have been assigned
as part of an employment agreement. Note that a Corporate CLA does not
remove the need for every developer to sign their own CLA as an
individual, to cover any of their contributions which are not owned by
the corporation signing the CCLA."

I understand it like as companies usually have an cla from their
employes (working contract :-)), they need to agree to that
contribution as every committer needs to do.

>> Has it been published somewhere on github?
>
> Not as far as I know, it has been developed in-house.

Then I don't htink this is for the incubator, but hopefully some other
will confirm or enlighten me here.

Cheers
Christian

http://www.grobmeier.de

Re: Code donation for JMeter

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: Code donation for JMeter

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

Re: Code donation for JMeter

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Ralph Goers wrote:
> Every contribution needs to be done under some kind of license agreement. For an individual it is an ICLA. For a corporation it is usually a Software Grant.  If the company has an ASF committer with an ICLA on file and that committer is comfortable (i.e. the company has a CCLA on file) then they could submit the code. Otherwise, a Software Grant is probably the best route.

Wow, thanks Ralph, that is so clear. ralph2doc

Also http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/

-David

Re: Code donation for JMeter

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Every contribution needs to be done under some kind of license agreement. For an individual it is an ICLA. For a corporation it is usually a Software Grant.  If the company has an ASF committer with an ICLA on file and that committer is comfortable (i.e. the company has a CCLA on file) then they could submit the code. Otherwise, a Software Grant is probably the best route.

Ralph