Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Lok Yu <du...@yahoo.com.hk> on 2007/01/05 03:34:39 UTC

Is there an ACK mechanism when sender sent a message to broker?

I have a few questions which hope experts help me to answer

1. Is there an ACK mechanism when sender sent a message to broker?

2. Is it possible that client not ACK the broker and broker will push
content to client again?

Thanks so much for answering.

Re: Is there an ACK mechanism when sender sent a message to broker?

Posted by Danielius Jurna <da...@elitnet.lt>.
Openwire protocol (used by default by java clients) there is ACK for sent
messages.
For stomp protocol - it is optional and depends on client implementation as
far as I know.

Regarding duplicates, when client does not send ACK to the broker, yes the
broker will send the message again.

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 1/5/07, Lok Yu <du...@yahoo.com.hk> wrote:

> I have a few questions which hope experts help me to answer
>
> 1. Is there an ACK mechanism when sender sent a message to broker?

In OpenWire on all commands a client can ask for a receipt of the
operation; so you can receive a receipt when the broker has processed
any send message. This is used for persistent messaging to know how
long to block a client doing a synchronous send.

> 2. Is it possible that client not ACK the broker and broker will push
> content to client again?

A consumer can hog a message and not ACK it, yes. Though as soon as
the client disconnects the message is redelivered. We've talked about
having a timeout on messages so any consumer which doesn't ACK a
message within some time period will be automatically detected and
closed by the broker.

--

James
-------