Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Alan Collins <al...@t-systems.co.za> on 2003/11/03 17:31:38 UTC

[users@httpd] Reverse proxy: How to redirect to different ports?

Hi All.

The FAQ does not address this issue, nor have I found the correct advice
from searches of newsgroups using Google.

I'm using Apache 2 as a reverse proxy to secure an IIS-based solution.  This
IIS server has 3 virtual webs configured for SSL.  This forces me to use
different ports since different host header names cannot be used with SSL.
I chose 443, 444, 446.

I can't demand that the users (external to the company) have their firewalls
configured to allow 444 and 446 traffic in addition to the standard 80 &
443.  So, the hope is that I can use Apache to redirect as necessary.
Something like this:

<VirtualHost 111.111.111.111:443>
    ProxyPass /app1/ https://foo.com/app1/
    ProxyPassReverse /app1/ https://foo.com/app1/

    ProxyPass /app2/ https://foo.com:444/app2/
    ProxyPassReverse /app2/ https://foo.com:444/app2/

    ProxyPass /app3/ https://foo.com:446/app3/
    ProxyPassReverse /app3/ https://foo.com:446/app3/
</VirtualHost>

Clearly this isn't a simple directory redirection (which works fine) but the
port change is making life difficult.  I find that the URLs that come back
to the browser contain the internal port numbers (e.g. 444 or 446) rather
than 443.

I've had a look at "rewrite" but this seems to give the same problem.    I
had a quick look at mod_proxy_html to fix any embedded URLs, but that seemed
to corrupt a bunch of stuff.

I'm absolutely convinced there must be a solution.  I hope you can help.

Thanks,
Alan.

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, and T-Systems South Africa (Pty) Ltd accepts no liability therefore, except where the sender specifically states them to be those of T-Systems South Africa (Pty) Ltd.  Although this message has been scanned for the possible presence of computer viruses prior to despatch, T-Systems South Africa (Pty) Ltd cannot be held responsible for any viruses or other material transmitted with, or as part of, this message.