Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com> on 2007/06/26 15:52:27 UTC

process for updating code in specs/branches ?

To address this JIRA:

I would like to merge this change from tomcat to geronimo's copy of
the 2.5 servlet spec.
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/tomcat/tc6.0.x/trunk/java/javax/servlet/
ServletException.java?r1=467995&r2=467994&pathrev=467995

Do I need to copy the spec from specs/branches to specs/trunk and
update the version number in pom.xml before making the change?  Or do
I just make the change directly to the branch?

BTW -- as noted in the JIRA, now that tomcat publishes to maven
central I don't think it makes sense for us to maintain the specs
that were copied from tomcat6 (servlet 2.5, jsp 2.1, and el 1.0).  I
had put off making this particular change to our servlet spec in
anticipation of switching to tomcat's.  But now that concerns have
been raised about copyrighted DTDs and XSDs contained in the spec
jars I am waiting to see where these discussions go:
http://www.nabble.com/cleanroomed-schemas-and-DTDs-tf3952935.html
http://www.nabble.com/Re%3A-SUN-PROPRIETARY-CONFIDENTIAL-code-in-
myfaces-tf3956198s134.html#a11225762

Best wishes,
Paul

Re: process for updating code in specs/branches ?

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Jun 26, 2007, at 9:52 AM, Paul McMahan wrote:

> To address this JIRA:
>
> I would like to merge this change from tomcat to geronimo's copy of
> the 2.5 servlet spec.
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/tomcat/tc6.0.x/trunk/java/javax/
> servlet/ServletException.java?r1=467995&r2=467994&pathrev=467995
>
> Do I need to copy the spec from specs/branches to specs/trunk and
> update the version number in pom.xml before making the change?  Or
> do I just make the change directly to the branch?

IIRC, specs code should not live in specs/branches for very long.
Release prep occurs in specs/branches. Once released, the branch
should have been svn mv'ed to tags. The next time an update was
required, the appropriate specs/tags directory should then be copied
to trunk or branches (depending on the amount of work/time required
before the spec will be released).

In this case, seems like branches would be appropriate. If the code
already in branches is the same as in trunk, IMO, you can just work
on the existing branches code...

> BTW -- as noted in the JIRA, now that tomcat publishes to maven
> central I don't think it makes sense for us to maintain the specs
> that were copied from tomcat6 (servlet 2.5, jsp 2.1, and el 1.0).
> I had put off making this particular change to our servlet spec in
> anticipation of switching to tomcat's.  But now that concerns have
> been raised about copyrighted DTDs and XSDs contained in the spec
> jars I am waiting to see where these discussions go:
> http://www.nabble.com/cleanroomed-schemas-and-DTDs-tf3952935.html
> http://www.nabble.com/Re%3A-SUN-PROPRIETARY-CONFIDENTIAL-code-in-
> myfaces-tf3956198s134.html#a11225762

Agreed. Sun has fixed a few of their XSDs/DTDs. If they fix the rest
(as mentioned in David Jencks note), then we can consider usingSun
fixes their license headers, then we can use Sun's (not Tomcat's)
version of the xsd's. Until then, I think we definitely stick with
our own...

--kevan