Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rasmus Lerdorf <ra...@lerdorf.on.ca> on 1997/07/16 06:22:40 UTC

Pocket-sized Apache server

In the category of useless things to do on a Tuesday night, I stuck a
Toshiba Libretto 50CT on my LAN here at home.  This is a 1.85 pound
sub-notebook Pentium 75 box.  The current ApacheNT is running on it
(under Windows95). I can't guarantee it will be up when you read this, but
you can give it a try at:

   http://pandora.lerdorf.on.ca/

Is this the smallest Apache server on the Net?  It is about the size of a
Newton, and it fits easily in my pocket.

One minor interesting note is that it is actually running off of a shared
drive from another box on my LAN.  This could just as well have been a CD.
Yeah so?  Well, think about the people who may want to distribute their
web site on CD-Rom.  Now they can ship their entire site, SSI, mod_perl,
mod_php (when I port it) and whatever else they might have that relies on
things their own Apache server can do.

-Rasmus

Re: Pocket-sized Apache server

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:

> In the category of useless things to do on a Tuesday night, I stuck a
> Toshiba Libretto 50CT on my LAN here at home.  This is a 1.85 pound
> sub-notebook Pentium 75 box.  The current ApacheNT is running on it
> (under Windows95). I can't guarantee it will be up when you read this,
> but
> you can give it a try at:
>
>    http://pandora.lerdorf.on.ca/
>
> Is this the smallest Apache server on the Net?  It is about the size
> of a
> Newton, and it fits easily in my pocket.
>
> One minor interesting note is that it is actually running off of a
> shared
> drive from another box on my LAN.  This could just as well have been a
> CD.
> Yeah so?  Well, think about the people who may want to distribute
> their
> web site on CD-Rom.  Now they can ship their entire site, SSI,
> mod_perl,
> mod_php (when I port it) and whatever else they might have that relies
> on
> things their own Apache server can do.

This is one of the two main reasons I wanted Apache on Win32 - the other
being so that Website authors can test their sites on their own
machines.

Cheers,

Ben.

--
Ben Laurie [Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible]

Re: Pocket-sized Apache server

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.
Man that beats my 4 pound thinkpad 560 that I do a lot of apache
development on.

Dean