Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com> on 2005/02/19 23:31:28 UTC

make test on recent SuSE 9.0 fails

Trying to install sa 3.0.2 I find that make test for 3.0.1 or 3.0.2 fails
on Suse 9.0 systems which got the recent security updates (Feb. 10 or so)
for Perl and Perl-DBI. The test isn't able to start spamd or connect to it
and can't find module Storable although it is installed and up-to-date
(see below for excerpt). make test runs fine on a similar system which
doesn't have those security updates yet.
Anyone else experiences the same problem?

t/spamc_B...................spamd start failed: log: logging enabled:
        facility: stderr
        socket:   file
        output:   stderr
logging to stderr disabled: already debugging to stderr
creating INET socket:
        Listen: 128
        LocalAddr: 127.0.0.1
        LocalPort: 48373
        Proto: 6
        ReuseAddr: 1
        Type: 1
debug: SpamAssassin version 3.0.1
debug: Score set 0 chosen.
debug: no Storable module found
Required module Storable not found!

Maybe you need to kill a running spamd process?

(no, spamd not running)

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Re: make test on recent SuSE 9.0 fails

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.
Kai Schaetzl wrote on Sun, 20 Feb 2005 02:13:45 +0100:

> > Install the Storable module.

Thanks for the other private Mail, Bob. I compared
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.1/i586-linux-thread-multi/auto/Storable/
with a new system where I applied the SuSE updates first and then used
CPAN to install any remaining prerequisites for sa (and was able to make
tests without problems). It turns out that the Storable.so (and other .so
files) is different. Seems to me that newer Perl versions install compiled
API libraries as .so files and don't use the .pm stuff anymore. That's
obviously good for performance. It seems the SuSE (or any other vendor
Perl update) just contains a lot of .so files and overwrites all those
coming with the standard distribution. Some of them are then not "in sync"
probably with some CPAN modules or whatever else.
This can either be cured by getting the respective .so file from a working
system or do a "force install" in the CPAN shell which forces a reinstall
and updates the .so file to a version that "fits". (There doesn't seem to
be a method to uninstall Perl modules?)
This means that whenever a vendor provides a Perl update the chance that
some of your installed modules get hosed is great.

Kai

Posted by Bob McClure Jr <ro...@earthlink.net>.
On Sat, Feb 19, 2005 at 11:31:28PM +0100, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Trying to install sa 3.0.2 I find that make test for 3.0.1 or 3.0.2 fails
> on Suse 9.0 systems which got the recent security updates (Feb. 10 or so)
> for Perl and Perl-DBI. The test isn't able to start spamd or connect to it
> and can't find module Storable although it is installed and up-to-date
> (see below for excerpt). make test runs fine on a similar system which
> doesn't have those security updates yet.
> Anyone else experiences the same problem?
>
> t/spamc_B...................spamd start failed: log: logging enabled:
>         facility: stderr
>         socket:   file
>         output:   stderr
> logging to stderr disabled: already debugging to stderr
> creating INET socket:
>         Listen: 128
>         LocalAddr: 127.0.0.1
>         LocalPort: 48373
>         Proto: 6
>         ReuseAddr: 1
>         Type: 1
> debug: SpamAssassin version 3.0.1
> debug: Score set 0 chosen.
> debug: no Storable module found
> Required module Storable not found!
>

> Maybe you need to kill a running spamd process?
>
> (no, spamd not running)
>
> Kai
>
> --
> Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany
> Get your web at Conactive Internet Services: http://www.conactive.com
> IE-Center: http://ie5.de & http://msie.winware.org

Install the Storable module.

Cheers,
robertmcclure@earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
The best home improvement manual is the Bible.

Re: make test on recent SuSE 9.0 fails

Posted by Matthias Keller <li...@matthias-keller.ch>.
Eric A. Hall wrote:

>On 2/19/2005 5:31 PM, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
>

>>Trying to install sa 3.0.2 I find that make test for 3.0.1 or 3.0.2 fails
>>on Suse 9.0 systems which got the recent security updates (Feb. 10 or so)
>>for Perl and Perl-DBI.
>>

>>Anyone else experiences the same problem?
>>

>Yes, I had a fair number of modules that were reported as missing or had
>some other problem, and would not update. DB_File, Storable, and a few
>other critical modules were causing real problems.
>
>I was able to fix most of this by doing installs manually rather than
>using CPAN. Things were working again pretty quickly.

Hi

Having the same problems, but I did not install it yet on my productive
System exactly because of those problems
Anyone good in CPAN or so could tell me how exactly to determine which
modules are reset to an initial state?
I hate doing it the hit+miss way by just reinstalling those modules that
make troubles right away....?

I'm thinking about a command to be run before and after the update which
spits out all the versions of the modules where a diff could tell me
what to reinstall later?

Thanks!!

Matti

Re: make test on recent SuSE 9.0 fails