Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by David Grizzanti <da...@sungard.com> on 2013/02/21 23:03:43 UTC

Question about SSVM errors/outbound internet connection

Hi All,

I had a question about the SSVM and it's ability to communicate out to the internet.  I'm currently using the DevCloud2 appliance inside Virtualbox with the Management Server and database running on my laptop (OS X).  This is with the 4.1 version of the code, pulled from the branch.

I've gotten to the point where I've built the source, deployed the database, and am running the management server all w/o any apparent issues.  System VMs come up without issues and tinyLinux template is registered with the management server as well.  However, the state of the SSVM is such that no other templates will download since it's having trouble connecting to external sites.

I was following some of the steps on the wiki here https://cwiki.apache.org/CLOUDSTACK/ssvm-troubleshooting.html and one of the troubleshooting steps it mentions is to run  /usr/local/cloud/systemvm/ssvm-check.sh.  This fails on the second step with the following:

root@s-1-VM:~# /usr/local/cloud/systemvm/ssvm-check.sh
First DNS server is  192.168.56.1
PING 192.168.56.1 (192.168.56.1): 56 data bytes
--- 192.168.56.1 ping statistics ---
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 0.413/1.549/2.685/1.136 ms
Good: Can ping DNS server
ERROR: DNS not resolving download.cloud.com
resolv.conf follows
nameserver 192.168.56.1
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 4.4.4.4

Also both cloud.out and systemvm.log in /var/log/cloud seem to give errors indicating issues with connecting to remote sites as well.  I can connect back to mgmt server on 8250 so I don't think that is the issue.

root@s-1-VM:/var/log/cloud# tail -2 systemvm.log
2013-02-21 22:01:17,523 INFO  [utils.nio.NioClient] (Agent-Selector:) Connecting to localhost:8250
2013-02-21 22:01:17,525 ERROR [utils.nio.NioConnection] (Agent-Selector:) Unable to connect to remote

root@s-1-VM:/var/log/cloud# tail -2 cloud.out
22:01:17,525 ERROR NioConnection:110 - Unable to connect to remote
22:01:23,614 ERROR NioConnection:110 - Unable to connect to remote

root@s-1-VM:/var/log/cloud# telnet 192.168.56.1 8250
Trying 192.168.56.1...
Connected to 192.168.56.1.

Is this a known limitation of the DevCloud setup or is there maybe something else wrong with my setup?

David Grizzanti
Software Engineer - SunGard Availability Services
401 N. Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA 19108
o: 215-446-1431 - e: david.grizzanti@sungard.com

Re: Question about SSVM errors/outbound internet connection

Posted by Marcus Sorensen <sh...@gmail.com>.
Good to hear!

Posted by David Grizzanti <da...@sungard.com>.
Marcus,

Posted by Marcus Sorensen <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Grizzanti <da...@sungard.com>.

Posted by Marcus Sorensen <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Cahill <dc...@midokura.com>.
Hi David,

Posted by Marcus Sorensen <sh...@gmail.com>.
You can get out if you set up the 10.0.3 network as public. That's a NAT.

Posted by Wei ZHOU <us...@gmail.com>.