Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by jon * <jo...@clearink.com> on 1999/07/23 22:30:02 UTC

Re: mod_jserv/4757: "POST" Parameter are not decoded when running an applet within netscape

The following reply was made to PR mod_jserv/4757; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "jon *" <jo...@clearink.com>
To: mgrupe@labworx.de
Cc: apbugs@hyperreal.org
Subject: Re: mod_jserv/4757: "POST" Parameter are not decoded when running
	 an applet within netscape
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 13:21:30 -0700

 > Fix: change the code that netscape content-types are allowed.

 Netscape needs to follow the HTML/HTTP specs. This is a bug in netscape and
 not a bug in Apache JServ.

 -jon

Re: mod_jserv/4757: "POST" Parameter are not decoded when running an applet within netscape

Posted by Ed Korthof <ed...@cloudfactory.org>.
Several things.  First, are you really sure that Netscape is wrong in
sending multipart/form-data as the content type?  Section 3.7.2 of RFC
2068 says:

     Note: The "multipart/form-data" type has been specifically defined
     for carrying form data suitable for processing via the POST request
     method, as described in RFC 1867 [15]

Perhaps I'm reading this wrong (it wouldn't be the first time), but it
does seem to suggest that Netscape's not necessarily wrong to use it.
Also, see RFC 2388, defining multipart/form-data:
	http://info.internet.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc/files/rfc2388.txt

OTOH, I can't find any reference to application/x-www-form-urlencoded w/in
RFC 2068.  What RFC talks about that?

Second, Netscape doesn't do this as an ordinary thing -- it is probably
specific to some of the Java code, or the code which the Java stuff
calls.

If a form contained a file upload element, it might be necessary to use
multipart/? to send the data ... though it's ambiguous as to whether or
not we should parse such a form submission (IMO).

Ed