Posted to dev@mesos.apache.org by Till Toenshoff <to...@me.com> on 2014/03/25 00:32:46 UTC

Shepherding on ExternalContainerizer

Dear Devs/Committers,

after having developed the ExternalContainerizer, I am now obviously eager to get it committed. After receiving and addressing a couple of comments (thanks @all who commented - that helped a lot), I now am once again in a stage of waiting and keeping fingers crossed that my patch won’t need rebasing before someone has a thorough look at it. I do appreciate and fully understand the fact that you committers are under heavy load.

By experience and seeing some RR comments, I learned that there appears to be a new entity in our review process; a “shepherd”. Sounds like a great idea, even though I am not entirely sure what that means in detail for Mesos. I guess that is something that makes sure that final commit decisions  are done by a single voice, preventing contradicting comments etc… Knowing that other projects actually demand the patch-submitter to ask for shepherding, I figured why not doing the same.

For that ExternalContainerizer baby, I would kindly like to call out for a shepherd. Guessing that a shepherd needs to be a committer but also knowing that Ian is very deeply involved within containerizing, I would like to “nominate” Niklas as a committer in collaboration with Ian. Hope that makes sense and don’t hesitate to tell me that this was not the right way to achieve shepherding.

cheers!
Till

Re: Shepherding on ExternalContainerizer

Posted by Tim St Clair <ts...@redhat.com>.
Awesome!

Thanks Ben.

Posted by Benjamin Hindman <be...@gmail.com>.
Hey Tim,

Posted by Tim St Clair <ts...@redhat.com>.
Folks -

Posted by Benjamin Mahler <be...@gmail.com>.
Hey Till,

Posted by Ian Downes <id...@twitter.com>.
Till,

I'll definitely help shepherd this through but, as you note, I'm not a committer so I'll need assistance from someone who is.

I can likely get to start looking at this tomorrow sometime. It may be helpful to chat after I've had a look through it again - will you be around on irc in the afternoon PST?

Ian