Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Mann, Bradley" <bm...@harris.com> on 2006/05/31 22:06:48 UTC

403 Error

I have recently installed Tomcat, and am having difficulty accessing the
Manager web application. I have added the role "manager" to the
tomcat-users.xml file under the user "both" but when I put in these
credentials at the password challenge, I am shown an http 403 error
(access denied). Any ideas why I may be receiving this error?

Thanks,

Brad Mann
Software Engineer - Information Access Services
HARRIS Corporation / GCSD
(321) 984-6292

Re: 403 Error

Posted by Marc Bächinger <mb...@bcwin.ch>.
Am Samstag, 3. Juni 2006 01.18 schrieb Mark Thomas:
> Marc Bächinger wrote:
> > hi
> >
> > I had the same problem and i was near to a nervous breakdown as I noticed
> > that encription was requested and tomcat expected encripted passwords
>
> This is not the case by default.

so i have to correct myself:

"I had similar symptoms [...] as i noticed that my non-default install script
configured the manager app to insist on encripted passwords..."

Sorry for any inconvenience caused by my misleading post...

marc

Re: 403 Error

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Marc Bächinger wrote:
> hi
>
> I had the same problem and i was near to a nervous breakdown as I noticed that
> encription was requested and tomcat expected encripted passwords

This is not the case by default.

Mark

Re: 403 Error

Posted by Marc Bächinger <mb...@bcwin.ch>.
hi

I had the same problem and i was near to a nervous breakdown as I noticed that
encription was requested and tomcat expected encripted passwords

Here you can read about a command linetool to encrypt it:

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/realm-howto.html#Digested%20Passwords

regards
marc