Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Kamesh Jayachandran <ka...@collab.net> on 2008/01/24 14:16:13 UTC

My understanding of state of things on sqlite storage

Hi All,

I could observe that we no more record mergeinfo in sqlite. This causes
all 5 issue-2897 specific testcases to fail.

But we have a code that does some insertions to sqlite table but not
exercised thanks to r28134.

As we are not recording anything in sqlite, I expected 'log -g and blame
-g' to fail.

Yes they fail, but they are expected to fail since r28948 and hence our
testsuite passes.

With this I tend to think we need to do 3 things,

1)In trunk Make 'get_mergeinfo_for_tree' API to be sqlite independent.

2)In issue-2897 branch make 'get_commit_and_merge_ranges' extract data
from fs rather than from sqlite.
   FYI: issue-2897 only needs equivalent of 'mergeinfo_changed', it does
not use 'mergeinfo'.

3)Remove all traces of sqlite relating to mergeinfo storage.

Let me know in case I misunderstand anything.

With regards
Kamesh Jayachandran

Re: My understanding of state of things on sqlite storage

Posted by David Glasser <gl...@davidglasser.net>.
On Jan 24, 2008 7:26 AM, C. Michael Pilato <cm...@collab.net> wrote:
> David Glasser wrote:

> >> Thanks for clarifying that, I am working on implementing 2) right now.
> >
> > That's good to hear.  What is your design for doing this efficiently?
> >
> > The design I've been imagining involves adding a field to noderevs
> > "predecessor-where-mergeinfo-changed" or something.
>
> /me sighs as the beautiful design of the filesystem DAG crumbles into a
> giant mess, basically all because of one feature's supposed need for
> property inheritance.

Hey, it just makes it into a DAG with more types of edges :-)

This does make it clear that all the people who've been saying for
years "property inheritance is easy in the Subversion model" are
wrong.  (Honestly I also think now that nestable mergeinfo was the
wrong choice since it leads to so much unpredictable semantics.  Oh
well.)

--dave

--
David Glasser | glasser@davidglasser.net | http://www.davidglasser.net/

Re: My understanding of state of things on sqlite storage

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 24, 2008 10:09 AM, David Glasser <gl...@davidglasser.net> wrote:
> On Jan 24, 2008 6:40 AM, Kamesh Jayachandran <ka...@collab.net> wrote:
> > C. Michael Pilato wrote:

> > > 2b) Implement all the other mergeinfo queries for BDB, too.
> >
> > Thanks for clarifying that, I am working on implementing 2) right now.
>
> That's good to hear.  What is your design for doing this efficiently?
>
> The design I've been imagining involves adding a field to noderevs
> "predecessor-where-mergeinfo-changed" or something.

Ahhh!  So you have not made that change yet I take it?  Or only for
fsfs?  I was thinking this was part of the reintegrate branch which is
also why I thought the SQLite usage had all been removed.  Maybe you
only did it for fsfs?

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard
http://markphip.blogspot.com/

Re: My understanding of state of things on sqlite storage

Posted by Kamesh Jayachandran <ka...@collab.net>.
David Glasser wrote:
> On Jan 24, 2008 6:40 AM, Kamesh Jayachandran <ka...@collab.net> wrote:
>
>> C. Michael Pilato wrote:

>>> 2b) Implement all the other mergeinfo queries for BDB, too.
>>>
>> Thanks for clarifying that, I am working on implementing 2) right now.
>>

> That's good to hear.  What is your design for doing this efficiently?
>
> The design I've been imagining involves adding a field to noderevs
> "predecessor-where-mergeinfo-changed" or something.

I don't have any design yet.
I am still making an effort to understand your work on
'sqlite-mergeinfo-without-mergeinfo'. Will make a proposal or patch if
it is simple soon.

Posted by David Glasser <gl...@davidglasser.net>.

Posted by Kamesh Jayachandran <ka...@collab.net>.

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
Kamesh Jayachandran wrote:
> With this I tend to think we need to do 3 things,
>
> 1)In trunk Make 'get_mergeinfo_for_tree' API to be sqlite independent.
>
> 2)In issue-2897 branch make 'get_commit_and_merge_ranges' extract data
> from fs rather than from sqlite.

2b) Implement all the other mergeinfo queries for BDB, too.

> 3)Remove all traces of sqlite relating to mergeinfo storage.

Yup.

--
C. Michael Pilato <cm...@collab.net>