Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> on 2016/05/01 18:24:13 UTC

Re: What will it take to release geode 1.0?

On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 10:58 PM, Dan Smith <ds...@pivotal.io> wrote:

> I'm not sure if the docs are a prerequisite for graduation. I don't think
> there are specific requirements about the level of documentation for
> graduation, just about community involvement - which docs could help
> encourage :)

I think this is a grey area with the user docs being on a vendor site.
Theres a requirement that "every podling site sources should be maintained
in the podling's site SVN or git directory"[1]. Clearly geode meets this to
the letter of the law and I've seen other projects websites point to
external resources that are useful. Since theres a plan to donate them at
some point, my guess is it wouldn't be an issue.

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/sites.html

> In any case we don't need to graduate or even be graduation ready to
> release 1.0. The version number 1.0 has no special meaning to the ASF as
> far as I can tell. But I think having regular releases and having an
> official non-milestone release will help us grow the community.

A release without a milestone/alpha/beta qualifier is going to indicate
this community thinks its ready for serious use - so while you're right
from a ASF perspective, it will have a special meaning for the wider geode
community. And while keeping the existing package names makes the
transition easier for existing gemfire users, a package rename in a later
version will add pain to the new vast(hopefully!) user base for geode. So I
would say do it now rather than later.

However, if you're going to change the package name, then its also a good
time to remove any deprecated features and correct/change any API's that
you're not 100% happy with - which may be alot more work than just changing
the package name.

Niall

Posted by Nitin Lamba <ni...@gmail.com>.
Sorry for the delay. Seems one JIRA is already present so created a few
more, as follows:

(a) gfsh help (GEODE-985)
(b) JMX end-points (GEODE-1465)
(c) properties file (GEODE-1466)
(d) servlet names for Dev and Admin REST (GEODE-1467)

Please feel free to update these issues, as appropriate.

I could start with GEODE-985 unless someone is already working on it.

Thanks,
Nitin

Posted by Anthony Baker <ab...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Nitin Lamba <nl...@apache.org>.

Posted by William Markito <wm...@pivotal.io>.
Great discussion...

--

~/William

Re: What will it take to release geode 1.0?

Posted by Brian Dunlap <bd...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Anthony Baker <ab...@pivotal.io>.
Seems fine.  I just double-checked and jackson v2.2.0 does seem to be still available on maven central so perhaps GEODE-612 can be closed entirely.

Anthony

Posted by William Markito <wm...@pivotal.io>.
@Anthony, what if we did:

--

~/William

Re: What will it take to release geode 1.0?

Posted by bd...@gmail.com.

Posted by Anthony Baker <ab...@pivotal.io>.
William,

Posted by William Markito <wm...@pivotal.io>.