Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Robert Dyer <ps...@gmail.com> on 2013/02/16 21:38:40 UTC

Namenode failures

I am at a bit of wits end here.  Every single time I restart the namenode,
I get this crash:

2013-02-16 14:32:42,616 INFO org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.common.Storage:
Image file of size 168058 loaded in 0 seconds.
2013-02-16 14:32:42,618 ERROR
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode:
java.lang.NullPointerException
    at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSDirectory.addChild(FSDirectory.java:1099)
    at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSDirectory.addChild(FSDirectory.java:1111)
    at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSDirectory.addNode(FSDirectory.java:1014)
    at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSDirectory.unprotectedAddFile(FSDirectory.java:208)
    at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSEditLog.loadFSEdits(FSEditLog.java:631)
    at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSImage.loadFSEdits(FSImage.java:1021)
    at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSImage.loadFSImage(FSImage.java:839)
    at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSImage.recoverTransitionRead(FSImage.java:377)
    at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSDirectory.loadFSImage(FSDirectory.java:100)
    at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem.initialize(FSNamesystem.java:388)
    at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem.<init>(FSNamesystem.java:362)
    at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.initialize(NameNode.java:276)
    at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.<init>(NameNode.java:496)
    at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.createNameNode(NameNode.java:1279)
    at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.main(NameNode.java:1288)

I am following best practices here, as far as I know.  I have the namenode
writing into 3 directories (2 local, 1 NFS).  All 3 of these dirs have the
exact same files in them.

I also run a secondary checkpoint node.  This one appears to have started
failing a week ago.  So checkpoints were *not* being done since then.  Thus
I can get the NN up and running, but with a week old data!

What is going on here?  Why does my NN data *always* wind up causing this
exception over time?  Is there some easy way to get notified when the
checkpointing starts to fail?

Re: Namenode failures

Posted by Robert Dyer <rd...@iastate.edu>.
On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 4:41 PM, Mohammad Tariq <do...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Robert,
>
>          It seems that your edit logs and fsimage have got
> corrupted somehow. It looks somewhat similar to this one

Similar, but the trace is different.

> Have you made any changes to the 'dfs.name.dir' directory
> lately?

No.

> Do you have enough space where metadata is getting
> stored?

Yes.  All 3 locations have plenty of space (hundreds of GB).

--

Robert Dyer
rdyer@iastate.edu

Re: Namenode failures

Posted by Robert Dyer <rd...@iastate.edu>.
On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 5:08 PM, Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>
> Are you by any chance adding files carrying unusual encoding?

I don't believe so.  The only files I push to HDFS are SequenceFiles (with
protobuf objects in them) and HBase's regions, which again is just protobuf
objects.  I don't use any special encodings in the protobufs.

> If its
> possible, can we be sent a bundle of the corrupted log set (all of the
> dfs.name.dir contents) to inspect what seems to be causing the
> corruption?

I can give the logs, dfs data dir(s), and 2nn dirs.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/heijq65pmb3esvd/hdfs-bug.tar.gz

> The only identified (but rarely occurring) bug around this part in
> 1.0.4 would be https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-4423. The
> other major corruption bug I know of is already fixed in your version,
> being https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-3652 specifically.
>
> We've not had this report from other users so having a reproduced file
> set (data not required) would be most helpful. If you have logs
> leading to the shutdown and crash as well, that'd be good to have too.
>
> P.s. How exactly are you shutting down the NN each time? A kill -9 or
> a regular SIGTERM shutdown?

I shut down the NN with 'bin/stop-dfs.sh'.

--

Robert Dyer
rdyer@iastate.edu

Re: Namenode failures

Posted by Robert Dyer <rd...@iastate.edu>.

--

Robert Dyer
rdyer@iastate.edu

Re: Namenode failures

Posted by Robert Dyer <rd...@iastate.edu>.

--

Robert Dyer
rdyer@iastate.edu

Re: Namenode failures

Posted by Robert Dyer <rd...@iastate.edu>.

--

Robert Dyer
rdyer@iastate.edu

Re: Namenode failures

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Robert,

Are you by any chance adding files carrying unusual encoding? If its

--
Harsh J

Re: Namenode failures

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Robert,

--
Harsh J

Re: Namenode failures

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Robert,

--
Harsh J

Re: Namenode failures

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Robert,

--
Harsh J

Re: Namenode failures

Posted by Robert Dyer <rd...@iastate.edu>.

--

Robert Dyer
rdyer@iastate.edu

Re: Namenode failures

Posted by Robert Dyer <rd...@iastate.edu>.

--

Robert Dyer
rdyer@iastate.edu

Re: Namenode failures

Posted by Robert Dyer <rd...@iastate.edu>.

--

Robert Dyer
rdyer@iastate.edu

Re: Namenode failures

Posted by Robert Dyer <rd...@iastate.edu>.

--

Robert Dyer
rdyer@iastate.edu

Re: Namenode failures

Posted by Robert Dyer <rd...@iastate.edu>.

--

Robert Dyer
rdyer@iastate.edu

Re: Namenode failures

Posted by Robert Dyer <rd...@iastate.edu>.

--

Robert Dyer
rdyer@iastate.edu

Re: Namenode failures

Posted by Robert Dyer <rd...@iastate.edu>.

--

Robert Dyer
rdyer@iastate.edu

Re: Namenode failures

Posted by Mohammad Tariq <do...@gmail.com>.
Hello Robert,

         It seems that your edit logs and fsimage have got
corrupted somehow. It looks somewhat similar to this one

Have you made any changes to the 'dfs.name.dir' directory
lately?Do you have enough space where metadata is getting
stored?You can make use of offine image viewer to diagnose

Re: Namenode failures

Posted by Mohammad Tariq <do...@gmail.com>.
Hello Robert,

Re: Namenode failures