Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Mike Landis <mi...@hotmail.com> on 2003/06/19 07:40:31 UTC

WAP/WML support to existing application

Hello,
How or is is possible to add WAP/WML support to existing Struts application?
I would like keep Web based (html) application as untouchable as possible.
Are there any possibilities to configure Struts so, that WAP and Browser
requests
will be handled in their own actions? If yes, how or is it wrong approach?
In my case there is no need/want to XML/XSLT generation so I can 'replicate'
JSP pages depending on their content type (wml and html).
Can anyone give me some tips how to add WAP support to existing Web
application?

Thanks,
mike

Re: WAP/WML support to existing application

Posted by Mark Lowe <ma...@talk21.com>.
The simplist way would be just to have WML copies of your JSP's

Something like this at the top of you jsp.. (i'll have to check but i
think its correct. JSP's default to contentType="text/html")

<%@ page language="java" contentType="text/wml" %>

If you want to minimize repetitive markup between html and wml versions
then some cunning use of tiles and a WML layout could do the job... But
this would really be up to you. Having stuff too rationalized can make
applications harder to maintain.. I'd add new views but use the same
actions.

The other option would be the parse the HTML version into a WML
versions, personally I think that this is a little more elegant but
would confuse maintainers more. . Youu could go for best of both worlds
and do an XSL transformation at build time to generate the additional
jsp's, but unless your site is huge this could take more time than this
would warrant.

1 issue affecting WML from JSP.
The only problem with WML versions and JSP is that a few of the
original nokia wap phones (7110) have trouble with white space at the
top of WML pages. I worked for an agency where the contact for one of
their clients had one of these phones and it was a pain in the arse. I
ended up doing all my WML as servlets because of the control over white
space. You can replicate this bug with the original version of the
nokia wap kit, the emulator has the same issue.

Cheers mark