Posted to user@nutch.apache.org by Carl Cerecke <ca...@nzs.com> on 2007/07/25 01:52:32 UTC

NullPointerException fetching some sites with temp redirects

Hi,

Using nutch 0.9, although I get the same with a more recent nightly build.

I'm getting NPE fetching these two pages:

http://www.absoluteit.co.nz
and
http://defence.allmedia.co.nz

I've tracked it down by putting a t.printStackTrace() in the catch
(Throwable t) of the run() in Fetcher.java:
java.lang.NullPointerException
         at org.apache.hadoop.io.Text.encode(Text.java:375)
         at org.apache.hadoop.io.Text.encode(Text.java:356)
         at org.apache.hadoop.io.Text.writeString(Text.java:396)
         at
org.apache.nutch.protocol.Content.writeCompressed(Content.java:146)
         at
org.apache.hadoop.io.CompressedWritable.write(CompressedWritable.java:74)
         at
org.apache.nutch.fetcher.FetcherOutput.write(FetcherOutput.java:56)
         at
org.apache.hadoop.mapred.MapTask$MapOutputBuffer.collect(MapTask.java:315)
         at
org.apache.nutch.fetcher.Fetcher$FetcherThread.output(Fetcher.java:343)
         at
org.apache.nutch.fetcher.Fetcher$FetcherThread.run(Fetcher.java:191)

I'm not sure where to go from here. Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Carl.

Re: NullPointerException fetching some sites with temp redirects

Posted by Carl Cerecke <ca...@nzs.com>.
Is anybody else getting NullPointerExceptions fetching either of these
two sites (0.90 and latest from trunk) ?

http://www.absoluteit.co.nz
http://defence.allmedia.co.nz

I am, but would be grateful if someone else could test whether they work
or not so I can eliminate nutch configuration issues.

Cheers,
Carl.

Posted by Carl Cerecke <ca...@nzs.com>.
Hi, Included Content.java. Will retry with latest trunk shortly.

Content.java:137-149

137 protected final void writeCompressed(DataOutput out) throws
IOException {
138    out.writeByte(VERSION);
139
140    Text.writeString(out, url); // write url
141    Text.writeString(out, base); // write base
142
143    out.writeInt(content.length); // write content
144    out.write(content);
145
146    Text.writeString(out, contentType); // write contentType
147
148    metadata.write(out); // write metadata
149  }

I also noticed in the output.collect call in Fetcher.java a new
FetcherOutput is created with the third argument (ParseImpl) as null
even though the Content argument is not null (it is the contents of the
page that is redirected to).

Cheers,
Carl.

Posted by Carl Cerecke <ca...@nzs.com>.
Hi Doğacan,

Yes, I get the NullPointerException with the latest trunk, too.

Cheers,
Carl.

Posted by Doğacan Güney <do...@gmail.com>.
Hi,