Posted to dev@nutch.apache.org by Julien Nioche <li...@gmail.com> on 2014/07/15 12:36:38 UTC

[VOTE] Remove pom.xml from source

Hi,

One of the frequent issues on the mailing list / JIRA is that users can be
led to think that Nutch is built with Maven as they can see what looks like
a perfectly valid pom.xml at the root of the project. It becomes clearer
when reading the WIKI or FAQ that ANT should be used instead but it isn't
an unreasonnable assumption, is it?

As we know this pom.xml is generated automatically when we publish the
Maven artefacts with the deploy task i.e. it is never done by end users and
only when we release a new version. This pom.xml is generated from a
template file in the ivy dir and uses the ivy dependencies.

This pom.xml file cannot be used to build Nutch core nor the plugins but
was used by Eclipse users to easily import the project and get the
dependencies, which can be done very neatly with the 'ant eclipse' task or
by using the IvyDE plugin for Eclipse.  Moreover there is no guarantee that
it is in sync with the content of the Ivy deps.

I suggest that we remove the pom.xml file from the source (and the
releases) to get rid of this source of confusion. Apart from the solutions
I just mentioned to get the dependencies in Eclipse etc... there is always
the option of calling 'ant deploy' to generate a fresh new pom.xml if you
really need one.

Can we please have your views on this?

[+1] yes
[-1] no, here is why...
[0] don't mind

Thanks

Julien

--

Open Source Solutions for Text Engineering

http://digitalpebble.blogspot.com/
http://www.digitalpebble.com
http://twitter.com/digitalpebble

Re: [VOTE] Remove pom.xml from source

Posted by Julien Nioche <li...@gmail.com>.
Hi Talat

Don't you remember https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NUTCH-1371? ;-)

Julien

Posted by Harald Kirsch <Ha...@raytion.com>.
Not sure whether I have a vote in this at all as a casual user of Nutch,
but this email comes just half an hour after --- as a non-mavener --- I
tried to make use of a project that uses maven and only maven.

If a project uses maven to build, fine. If it says: "only the true
believers in the goods of maven shall be able to have the jar" then it
is alienating all the true non-believers.

(Sorry for the rant, couldn't help it.)

Bottom line: if using maven, please keep the path open for users who
just would like to download a compiled jar file and greet an N+1 line
README specifying the N dependencies of the jar.

Harald.

On 15.07.2014 12:50, Talat Uyarer wrote:
> Hi Julien,
>
> [+1] We can remove pom.xml
>
> I wonder Why don't we switch our dependency management ivy+ant to maven ?
>   Most of IDEs works very good with maven.
>
> Talat

>> Hi,
>>
>> One of the frequent issues on the mailing list / JIRA is that users can be
>> led to think that Nutch is built with Maven as they can see what looks like
>> a perfectly valid pom.xml at the root of the project. It becomes clearer
>> when reading the WIKI or FAQ that ANT should be used instead but it isn't
>> an unreasonnable assumption, is it?
>>
>> As we know this pom.xml is generated automatically when we publish the
>> Maven artefacts with the deploy task i.e. it is never done by end users and
>> only when we release a new version. This pom.xml is generated from a
>> template file in the ivy dir and uses the ivy dependencies.
>>
>> This pom.xml file cannot be used to build Nutch core nor the plugins but
>> was used by Eclipse users to easily import the project and get the
>> dependencies, which can be done very neatly with the 'ant eclipse' task or
>> by using the IvyDE plugin for Eclipse.  Moreover there is no guarantee that
>> it is in sync with the content of the Ivy deps.
>>
>> I suggest that we remove the pom.xml file from the source (and the
>> releases) to get rid of this source of confusion. Apart from the solutions
>> I just mentioned to get the dependencies in Eclipse etc... there is always
>> the option of calling 'ant deploy' to generate a fresh new pom.xml if you
>> really need one.
>>
>> Can we please have your views on this?
>>
>> [+1] yes
>> [-1] no, here is why...
>> [0] don't mind
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Julien
>>
>> --
>>
>> Open Source Solutions for Text Engineering
>>
>> http://digitalpebble.blogspot.com/
>> http://www.digitalpebble.com
>> http://twitter.com/digitalpebble

--
Harald Kirsch
Raytion GmbH

Re: [VOTE] Remove pom.xml from source

Posted by Talat Uyarer <ta...@uyarer.com>.
Hi Julien,

Posted by yeshwanth kumar <ye...@gmail.com>.
[+1}

Posted by Talat Uyarer <ta...@uyarer.com>.
Hi Simon,

There is not any reason. We can upgrade. Hence IMHO we should discuss
outside of this topic.

Talat

Posted by Simon Z <si...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Talat and Julien,

We are got stuck passing our proxy server so I can not make nutch run. The
issue is urgent for me.

Thanks for the above links and I will go to there.

Cheers,

Simon

On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 4:44 PM, Julien Nioche <

Posted by Julien Nioche <li...@gmail.com>.
Hi Simon,

Posted by Simon Z <si...@gmail.com>.
Hi Julien,