Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com> on 2013/06/20 21:22:00 UTC

New official nomeclature ...

We don't really have any equivalent to master/slave when we talk about
SolrCloud, we have leader/replica.

But then we overload "replica" to include the leader which leads to
really awkward sentences.

So what do you think about referring to leaders/followers when we want
to be specific about the role of a particular node?

FWIW
Erick

Re: New official nomeclature ...

Posted by Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org>.
On 6/20/2013 1:22 PM, Erick Erickson wrote:
> We don't really have any equivalent to master/slave when we talk about
> SolrCloud, we have leader/replica.
>
> But then we overload "replica" to include the leader which leads to
> really awkward sentences.
>
> So what do you think about referring to leaders/followers when we want
> to be specific about the role of a particular node?

I like your idea.

Based on my experiences in IRC and on solr-user, I think that we're
going to have trouble no matter what we use for terminology.  People
just can't seem to accept the idea that leader is a temporary
designation and that replication is rarely used.

I know I put a comment on an issue somewhere about having SolrCloud use
a special (and possibly hidden) replication handler, so that people
visiting the Replication tab don't ask us why their leader says it's a
slave.

Thanks,
Shawn