Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Helmut K. C. Tessarek" <te...@evermeet.cx> on 2017/01/01 22:23:12 UTC

ERR_SPDY_PROTOCOL_ERROR - additional info

I'm sorry that the previous mail was so short, but there are no error
messages in the error log. It happens on several subdomains and for
aliases within the same domain, which makes no sense to me, especially
since I never came across this problem with the previous httpd version.

I'm using the following directive: Protocols h2 http/1.1

I had to deactivate h2 altogether, because a lot of subdomains and
aliases errored out and were not reachable. I could have also reverted
back to 2.4.23, which I will probably do in a couple of days.

I couldn't do any problem determination on my production server. I had
to make it work asap.

I just wanted to mention that there's something off with h2.

Since I only upgraded httpd from 2.4.23 to 2.5.25 w/o changing any
configuration files, it must be a problem with the current h2
implementation.

Cheers,
  K. C.

--
regards Helmut K. C. Tessarek
lookup http://pool.sks-keyservers.net for KeyID 0xC11F128D

/*
   await thee at its end.
*/

Re: ERR_SPDY_PROTOCOL_ERROR - additional info

Posted by "Helmut K. C. Tessarek" <te...@evermeet.cx>.
On 2017-01-02 10:50, Stefan Eissing wrote:
> Are these public facing servers? Do you have low traffic instances where to enable super-verbose log level and make a test request? Of interest would be

Yes, they are and that's why I had to fix the issue right away.
I deactivated h2 so that people could reach the subdomains again.

The strange thing is that it did not happen on all subdomains.
As I said, the error even happened on an Alias.

e.g.:

server.com worked
server.com/test did not work

> LogLevel http2:trace2
> LogLevel ssl:trace2
> LogLevel core:debug
>
> That log should then give an idea of what is going on. Thanks.

Ok, let me create a few dummy subdomains. Hopefully the problem is
reproducible and I can get you the data you need.

Cheers,
 K. C.

Posted by Stefan Eissing <st...@greenbytes.de>.
Are these public facing servers? Do you have low traffic instances where to enable super-verbose log level and make a test request? Of interest would be

LogLevel http2:trace2
LogLevel ssl:trace2
LogLevel core:debug

That log should then give an idea of what is going on. Thanks.

-Stefan

> Am 02.01.2017 um 16:47 schrieb Helmut K. C. Tessarek <te...@evermeet.cx>:
>
> On 2017-01-02 04:58, Stefan Eissing wrote:
>> You get the errors using Chrome? What does Firefox say?
>
> On Firefox I only got some unspecified error (the page was not
> rendered). That's why I switched to Chrome to get at least some info.
>
>> There is one new feature in 2.4.25, off by default, that causes such
>> errors with Chrome. The Chrome bug report has status "fixed", not
>> sure when it will be released
>> (https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=662197).
>
> Nope, this error happens with all browsers.
>
>> As I said, this behaviour is off by default for this reason. It is
>> changed by directive "H2EarlyHints".
>>
>> But maybe it's something totally unrelated to this. Are you able to
>> reproduce this on a non-production server of yours?
>
> Unfortunately I don't have another Linux server with the same
> configuration. I could try to create a few dummy sub domains and see if
> it happens again. But I still need info how to debug this any further.
>
> Cheers,
> K. C.
>
> --
> regards Helmut K. C. Tessarek
> lookup http://pool.sks-keyservers.net for KeyID 0xC11F128D
>
> /*
>   Thou shalt not follow the NULL pointer for chaos and madness
>   await thee at its end.
> */

Stefan Eissing

<green/>bytes GmbH
Hafenstrasse 16
48155 Münster
www.greenbytes.de

Re: ERR_SPDY_PROTOCOL_ERROR - additional info

Posted by "Helmut K. C. Tessarek" <te...@evermeet.cx>.

Posted by Stefan Eissing <st...@greenbytes.de>.
You get the errors using Chrome? What does Firefox say?

There is one new feature in 2.4.25, off by default, that causes such errors with Chrome. The Chrome bug report has status "fixed", not sure when it will be released (https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=662197).

As I said, this behaviour is off by default for this reason. It is changed by directive "H2EarlyHints".

But maybe it's something totally unrelated to this. Are you able to reproduce this on a non-production server of yours?

Thanks,

Stefan

> Am 01.01.2017 um 23:23 schrieb Helmut K. C. Tessarek <te...@evermeet.cx>:
>
> I'm sorry that the previous mail was so short, but there are no error
> messages in the error log. It happens on several subdomains and for
> aliases within the same domain, which makes no sense to me, especially
> since I never came across this problem with the previous httpd version.
>
> I'm using the following directive: Protocols h2 http/1.1
>
> I had to deactivate h2 altogether, because a lot of subdomains and
> aliases errored out and were not reachable. I could have also reverted
> back to 2.4.23, which I will probably do in a couple of days.
>
> I couldn't do any problem determination on my production server. I had
> to make it work asap.
>
> I just wanted to mention that there's something off with h2.
>
> Since I only upgraded httpd from 2.4.23 to 2.5.25 w/o changing any
> configuration files, it must be a problem with the current h2
> implementation.
>
> Cheers,
>  K. C.
>
> --
> regards Helmut K. C. Tessarek
> lookup http://pool.sks-keyservers.net for KeyID 0xC11F128D
>
> /*
>   Thou shalt not follow the NULL pointer for chaos and madness
>   await thee at its end.
> */

Stefan Eissing

<green/>bytes GmbH