Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Darryl Cook <dl...@cs.appstate.edu> on 2002/02/27 20:47:08 UTC

problem authenticicating ~user

Hi folks,

Im having a hard time getting the authenticication to work as
expected.   I am the systems administrator for the Computer Science Dept
at a university.   I want to set up directories for students to build
home pages for a class they take.   The chair wants to set a username
and password for them to use so that the outside world wont see these
pages.   Simple enough....well I thought so.

I have experimented with the .htaccess file and have gotten it to work
for specific directories no problem.   I have also experimented with the
httpd.conf and put the /Directory stuff in there and it works somewhat
just as the .htaccess stuff does.  Now for the problem.....

Home pages are located in /usr/local/etc/httpd/htdocs/u.
There are several directories there to seperate out faculty, staff and
students.   The students directory is called css.  Their home page is
located in css/username.  A link is in the /usr/local/etc/httpd/htdocs/u
directory pointing to css/username.

If I use a browser and go to http://www.server.here/u/css/username
everything works great.  The browser prompts for a username and password
like it should.  However if i point the browser to
http://www.server.here/~username it bypasses the authenication entirely
even though it is located at the same spot as the example above.

Any ideas why?    I know this is probably hard to follow, if so ill
explain more if needed.

Here is a picture of the directory structure:

/usr/local/etc/httpd/htdocs/u:
       drwxrwxrwx                css
         rwxrwxrwx                --> ./css/username     username

/usr/local/etc/httpd/htdocs/u/css:
       drwxrwxrwx                username

thanks for any help!

darryl

Re: problem authenticicating ~user

Posted by Darryl Cook <dl...@cs.appstate.edu>.
Actually I solved the problem.....the problem was the way the links were set
up.  I have to actually check against two different directories in the
httpd.conf file even though they are the same directory because of the
links.   I didnt want to use a .htaccess file because the users could delete
that file and bypass security.  I wanted it in the conf file so they cant mess
with it.

thanks!
darryl

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.