Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Karthikeyani K <ka...@yahoo.com> on 2004/08/04 17:20:42 UTC

Invoke a httpclient in a EJB

Hi,
        We have all requests posted to a servlet which delegates the request to a Stateless Session Bean. Does creatring and invoking a Httpclient postmethod in a helper class invoked by the Stateless Session Bean violate any of the EJB specifications. (EJB spec says sockets are not to be created in EJB code etc. ). Please suggest.

Thanks,
Karthi

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Invoke a httpclient in a EJB

Posted by dan tran <da...@gmail.com>.
hmmm, EJB + remote DB via jdbc needs sockets?

You can use EJB with socket, as long as the operation is quick.
In some case http socket operation can hang due to long response delay.

-D

Re: Invoke a httpclient in a EJB

Posted by Michael Becke <be...@u.washington.edu>.
Hi Karthi,

Unfortunately I don't have much experience with EJBs, but if the spec
says that you can't open sockets, then it will be pretty hard to use
HttpClient.  Perhaps someone else on this list has some more experience
in this matter.

Any EJB + HttpClient users out there?

Mike

Posted by Ortwin Glück <or...@nose.ch>.

Michael Becke wrote:
> Both of
> these will create threads.

As I read the spec (but I am completely unfamiliar with EJB and I may be
dead wrong), you can do what you like during a method call. But before
returning form a method call you must ensure that there are no threads
and sockets left behind.

Re: Invoke a httpclient in a EJB

Posted by Karthikeyani K <ka...@yahoo.com>.
thanks mike.

Michael Becke <be...@u.washington.edu> wrote:Hi Karthi,

> So does the following code snippet perform what Mike have mentioned...
> HttpClient client=new HttpClient(); // Which will create a
> SimpleHttpConnectionManager
> // by default. So we
> need not create an explicit
>
> //HttpconnectionManager
>
> // Perform post
> //Release the connection
> postmethod.releaseConnection();
> // Close the socket connection
> client.getHttpConnectionManager().getConnection().close();
>
> Is this the correct way of closing the connection.

That should work just fine.

Mike

Re: Invoke a httpclient in a EJB

Posted by Michael Becke <be...@u.washington.edu>.
Hi Karthi,

Posted by Karthikeyani K <ka...@yahoo.com>.
Mike stated
<< I would suggest creating a simple HttpConnectionManager (very similar to
SimpleHttpConnectionManager) that you can force close the connection with. >>

So does the following code snippet perform what Mike have mentioned...
HttpClient client=new HttpClient(); // Which will create a SimpleHttpConnectionManager
                                                  // by default. So we need not create an explicit
                                                  //HttpconnectionManager

   // Perform post
   //Release the connection
     postmethod.releaseConnection();
   // Close the socket connection
    client.getHttpConnectionManager().getConnection().close();

Is this the correct way of closing the connection.

Thanks,
Karthi

Karthikeyani K <ka...@yahoo.com> wrote:
Thanks Mike. Now I understand that we can use HttpClient from within EJB as long as we close the connection. Also Httpclient does not create a Server socket.

Michael Becke wrote:
Hi Karthi,

>From the wording it sounds like you are not supposed to run a server
from an EJB. HttpClient creates sockets but it does not listen to or
accept connections, it's a client only. As someone already mentioned it
would be pretty useless if you couldn't make network connections from an
EJB as that would eliminate JDBC as well.

It sounds like the real issue is going to be thread creation and
connection reuse. To avoid creating threads you should use neither the
MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager nor connection timeouts. Both of
these will create threads. You will also need to ensure that all
HttpConnections are closed when the EJB exists. I would suggest

Posted by Karthikeyani K <ka...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Michael Becke <be...@u.washington.edu>.
Hi Karthi,

 From the wording it sounds like you are not supposed to run a server

Posted by Karthikeyani K <ka...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks everyone.

Posted by Gareth Davis <ga...@logicalpractice.com>.

Posted by Roland Weber <RO...@de.ibm.com>.
Hello Karthi,

HttpClient does create sockets. And it creates threads
in some situations, for example when using timeouts
while creating sockets. It's definitely not EJB friendly.

cheers,
  Roland

Karthikeyani K <ka...@yahoo.com>
04.08.2004 17:20