Posted to hdfs-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Tsz Wo Sze <sz...@yahoo.com> on 2014/02/25 22:41:44 UTC

[VOTE] Merge HDFS-5535 Rolling Upgrade Improvement

Hi hdfs-dev,

We propose merging the HDFS-5535 branch to trunk.

HDFS Rolling Upgrade is a feature to allow upgrading individual HDFS daemons.  In Hadoop v2, HDFS supports highly-available (HA) namenode services and wire compatibility. These two capabilities make it feasible to upgrade HDFS without incurring HDFS downtime.  We make such improvement in the HDFS-5535 branch.

The HDFS-5535 branch is ready to be merged to trunk.  As this being written, there are 48 subtasks in HDFS-5535; 44 subtasks are already completed.  The core developments including feature development, unit tests and user doc, are already done.  The merge patch posted a few ago already passed Jenkins.  I will post a updated patch to trigger Jenkins again for the latest code base.

The remaining JIRAs are:

HDFS-3225: Revist upgrade snapshots, roll back, finalize to enable rolling upgrades (assigned to Sanjay)
HDFS-6000: Avoid saving namespace when starting rolling upgrade (assigned to Jing)
HDFS-6013: add rollingUpgrade information to  latest UI (assigned to Vinay)
HDFS-6016: Update datanode replacement policy to make writes more robust (assigned to Kihwal)

HDFS-6000 will be committed soon.  All other issues are further improvements which can be done after merge.

The other remaining works are:
- Revise the design doc
- Post a test plan (Haohui is working on it.)
- Execute the manual tests (Haohui and Fengdong will work on it.)

The work was a collective effort of Nathan Roberts, Sanjay Radia, Suresh Srinivas, Kihwal Lee, Jing Zhao, Arpit Agarwal, Brandon Li, Haohui Mai, Vinayakumar B, Fengdong Yu, Chris Nauroth and Tsz-Wo Nicholas Sze, who have proposed the design, worked on the code, reviewed patches, tested the features and authored documentation.  We thank everyone that who has gave us valuable comments and feedback on the feature.

The vote runs for 7 days.  Here is my +1 on the merge.

Thanks.
Tsz-Wo

Re: [VOTE] Merge HDFS-5535 Rolling Upgrade Improvement

Posted by Tsz Wo Sze <sz...@yahoo.com>.
Hi hdfs-dev,

With ten +1's (eight binding and two non-binding), the vote passed.  Once the latest merge patch has passed Jenkins, I will merge the HDFS-5535 branch to trunk.  Thanks everyone!

Tsz-Wo

Posted by Tsz Wo Sze <sz...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Andrew,

Suresh has posted a new revision of the design doc.  Have you got a chance to take a look?   Kihwal is also revising the design doc for the datanode sections.

Thanks for voting!
Tsz-Wo

Can we get an updated design doc posted to the JIRA? I'm not -1 or

Posted by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Arpit Agarwal <aa...@hortonworks.com>.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: [VOTE] Merge HDFS-5535 Rolling Upgrade Improvement

Posted by Jun Ping Du <jd...@vmware.com>.
+1 for merging. IMO, Rolling Upgrade is a significant feature for 0 downtime HDFS. The reminding work looks reasonable to me. Thanks Nicholas and all for hard working on this!
CC to yarn-dev, look forward to see YARN Rolling Upgrade can onboard soon (YARN-666).

Cheers,

Junping

Posted by Suresh Srinivas <su...@hortonworks.com>.
+1 for merging the feature to trunk.

Main goal of HDFS-3225 was rolling upgrade. I have resolved it, given the
umbrella jira addresses it.

--
http://hortonworks.com/download/

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: [VOTE] Merge HDFS-5535 Rolling Upgrade Improvement

Posted by Vinayakumar B <vi...@huawei.com>.
+1 for merging.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: [VOTE] Merge HDFS-5535 Rolling Upgrade Improvement

Posted by Brandon Li <br...@hortonworks.com>.
+1 for merging it to trunk.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: [VOTE] Merge HDFS-5535 Rolling Upgrade Improvement

Posted by Azuryy Yu <az...@gmail.com>.
+1 for merging.

Posted by Jing Zhao <ji...@hortonworks.com>.
+1 for the merging.

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 10:58 AM, Chris Nauroth <cn...@hortonworks.com>wrote:

> [...]
> > (assigned to Kihwal)
> > >
> > > HDFS-6000 will be committed soon.  All other issues are further
> > improvements which can be done after merge.
> > >
> > > The other remaining works are:
> > > - Revise the design doc
> > > - Post a test plan (Haohui is working on it.)
> > > - Execute the manual tests (Haohui and Fengdong will work on it.)
> > >
> > > The work was a collective effort of Nathan Roberts, Sanjay Radia,
> Suresh
> > Srinivas, Kihwal Lee, Jing Zhao, Arpit Agarwal, Brandon Li, Haohui Mai,
> > Vinayakumar B, Fengdong Yu, Chris Nauroth and Tsz-Wo Nicholas Sze, who
> have
> > proposed the design, worked on the code, reviewed patches, tested the
> > features and authored documentation.  We thank everyone that who has gave
> > us valuable comments and feedback on the feature.
> > >
> > > The vote runs for 7 days.  Here is my +1 on the merge.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: [VOTE] Merge HDFS-5535 Rolling Upgrade Improvement

Posted by Chris Nauroth <cn...@hortonworks.com>.
+1 for the merge.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: [VOTE] Merge HDFS-5535 Rolling Upgrade Improvement

Posted by Kihwal Lee <ki...@yahoo-inc.com>.
+1