Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org> on 2001/09/11 14:51:01 UTC

I appologize for the cornerstone build fiasco

I was trying to convert the build process to the
standard targets, and simplify some stuff as well.
I am always a fan of trying to speed up development
and introduced the <parallel> tag to speed up the
apps development.  It appears that there are differences
in the tools for Java between Unix and Windows that
preclude concurrent compiling.  Each app _should_
be able to independantly be built--but it seems this
is a tool problem.

Hopefully, Cornerstone has the most complex build system,
so the others should be easy compared to this.

Paul asked about individual app deployment targets
(specifically jesktop-deploy).  I would rather see
a pair of targets like this:

${app.name}-install
${app.name}-uninstall

That way we can install and uninstall the individual
apps--and the naming is consistent.

What do you think?

Re: I appologize for the cornerstone build fiasco

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 11 Sep 2001 22:51, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> Paul asked about individual app deployment targets
> (specifically jesktop-deploy).  I would rather see
> a pair of targets like this:
>
> ${app.name}-install
> ${app.name}-uninstall
>
> That way we can install and uninstall the individual
> apps--and the naming is consistent.

We could do that or we could just insist that the user go

$ cd app/myapp
$ ant install

or maybe

ant -Dinstall.appname=true install

--
Cheers,

Pete

Re: I appologize for the cornerstone build fiasco

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Berin,

>I was trying to convert the build process to the
>standard targets, and simplify some stuff as well.
>I am always a fan of trying to speed up development
>and introduced the <parallel> tag to speed up the
>apps development.  It appears that there are differences
>in the tools for Java between Unix and Windows that
>preclude concurrent compiling.  Each app _should_
>be able to independantly be built--but it seems this
>is a tool problem.

No probs, nobody noticed really - just Peter (and he's probably gone
clubbing by now ;-).

>Hopefully, Cornerstone has the most complex build system,
>so the others should be easy compared to this.
>
>Paul asked about individual app deployment targets
>(specifically jesktop-deploy).  I would rather see
>a pair of targets like this:
>
>${app.name}-install
>${app.name}-uninstall

How about "build app-name target-name"

It would involve special processing for %1 and %2 but would mean that
all the targets available in the apps build file could be invoked.  I
know it's possible because I've done it in a previous job.

Regards,

- Paul H