Posted to dev@buildr.apache.org by Alex Boisvert <al...@gmail.com> on 2010/03/24 00:35:36 UTC

Re: License question: releasing an extension that includes buildr-derived code

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 4:19 PM, Rhett Sutphin <rh...@detailedbalance.net>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm going to release my version of Intellij IDEA project file generation as
> a separate, MIT-licensed extension.  (The idea is that this will allow it to
> vary independent of buildr itself, so that changes/fixes won't have to be
> reviewed by the non-IDEA-using committer group and so that it can release
> new features on its own schedule.)  It was originally based on the idea7x
> task, so I want to make sure that I'm obeying the apache license.
>
> I believe the only part of the NOTICE file I need to include is this:
>
>  Apache Buildr
>> Copyright 2007-2009 The Apache Software Foundation
>>
>> This product includes software developed at
>> The Apache Software Foundation (http://www.apache.org/).
>>

> Is that correct?  Or would any of the other copyright notices apply to
> idea7x?

I believe you would also need to include the Intalio copyright from NOTICE
since I'm pretty certain the idea7x task was written, or at least derived
from, the original contribution from Intalio.   (git log on idea7x.rb
doesn't go beyond 2008).

alex

Re: License question: releasing an extension that includes buildr-derived code

Posted by Rhett Sutphin <rh...@detailedbalance.net>.
Hi,

Thanks to both of you for the clarification.  I'm including the
Intalio statement in NOTICE, too.

(I've pushed an initial version of the separated code to github[1].
I'll announce it on user@buildr once there's an actual release.)

Thanks again,
Rhett

[1]: http://github.com/rsutphin/buildr-iidea