Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Bob Nelson <rl...@yahoo.com> on 2013/01/20 18:33:05 UTC

Ventura Publisher

I don't have a lot of experience with Writer yet.  But what I HOPE is that the Styles capability gives
Writer the same capabilities as the old Ventura Publisher (VP).  VP is gone now, I believe buried by
Corel who bought it from Xerox.  But I wrote a number of complex user manuals with it back in the

1970s and 1980s (not exactly sure of the dates).  In fact I came to know the original authors and served

as one of their beta testers for a time.  I liked VP a whole lot, and miss it very much.  It made stylized document
development very easy.  IMHO far better than any of the newer desktop publisher programs.

VP was aimed at generating an entire document - not just micro-formatting a single page.  The basic idea
was that you defined (with easy key-clicks) all the formatting details for a particular "paragraph" type, and then
gave that paragraph type a name.  Then every other paragraph you wanted could be tagged with the same name,
and it would take on all the same formatting.  Typically I had names like heading, subheading, subsubheading,

document title, chapter title, etc etc.  I think you understand.  So after you typed in a document's text, you just went
from paragraph (or heading) to paragraph, and tagged each one to format it.  Quick and easy way to a professional
looking document.

If Writer has "styles" that operate this way, I hope that capability makes it much like VP.

Anyone have any thoughts along these lines?

Bob Nelson