Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Gurps <g...@gurpal.co.uk> on 2006/08/15 19:00:41 UTC

what we need: tutorials like this

We need an equivalent set of tutorials very simiar to the asp.net
quicjkstarts tutorial, but with tapestry. Step by step, building on simple
examples to more complex ones:

http://www.dotnetjunkies.com/quickstart/aspplus/doc/quickstart.aspx

This would make tapestry easier to work with and gain more popularity!

Cheers

Re: what we need: tutorials like this

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.
You have to also take into account that the people behind ASP.NET are housed
in one of the largest software companies in the world...

We do what we can but need more community help until we find a way to trick
IBM into installing tapestry on all their servers for a nominal fee. ;)

On 8/15/06, Gurps <g...@gurpal.co.uk> wrote:

> Absolutely, i already have it. but it just doesn't cover things 100% like
> this. As I said it needs to be step by step - take a look at the dotnet
> tutorials, escpecially on stuff like rewinding/post-back/data binding.
> Believe me, I'd rather be doing Tapestry that ASP.NET !!
>

> karthik.nar wrote:
> >
> > get yourself a  copy of Enjoying Web Development with Tapestry by Kent
> > Tong.  It's got the tutorial approach to tapestry.
> >
> > On 8/15/06, Gurps <g...@gurpal.co.uk> wrote:
> >>

> >> We need an equivalent set of tutorials very simiar to the asp.net
> >> quicjkstarts tutorial, but with tapestry. Step by step, building on
> >> simple
> >> examples to more complex ones:
> >>
> >> http://www.dotnetjunkies.com/quickstart/aspplus/doc/quickstart.aspx
> >>
> >> This would make tapestry easier to work with and gain more popularity!
> >>
> >> Cheers
> >> --
> >>

> > --
> > Thanks, Karthik

Jesse Kuhnert
Tapestry/Dojo/(and a dash of TestNG), team member/developer

dojo/tapestry/tacos/hivemind.

Re: what we need: tutorials like this

Posted by Gurps <g...@gurpal.co.uk>.

Posted by Varun Mehta <va...@persistent.co.in>.
I was just browsing through the 4.0 source code, most of the articles that
have been deprecated are still being used in the .page and .application
files, can anyone confirm this, as in has the data been updated, or is the
there a DTD diff between 4.0 and 4.1

Regards
Varun Mehta
Member of Technical Staff,
Persistent Systems Pvt. Ltd.,
Direct: +91 20 3023 4656
Board: +91 20 3023 4000 Ext: 4656
Visit PSPL at
*	 http://persistentsys.com

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
imagination is more important than knowledge - albert einstein
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Visit Varun at
*	http://varun.cjb.net  [HTML]
*	http://varuninfo.cjb.net  [Blogged]
*	http://varunmehta.cjb.net  [Flash]

Posted by Onno Scheffers <on...@piraya.nl>.

AW: what we need: tutorials like this

Posted by m-woelm <ma...@m-woelm.de>.
Hey folks,

this is my first mail, so I shortly present my self. I am a student from
germany and my job is to evaluate Tapestry for my professorship. Therefore,
I have to write a simple application (small web-shop).

The tutorials I have seen are either very simple or even a little bit more
(too?) complex. For beginners I would not combine new tutorials with other
tools/api like AJAX or anything else. It would be nice to see tutorials only
to see a little more complexity but on a simple base.

Especially, how can I handle form-values of any input type and data type and
how can I validate them. And perhaps in a further step make them persistent
with entity beans.

And another problem that I actually have:

How can I combine multiple html-templates together to one big html with
tapestry? It would be nice if there would be tutorial which explains this
and only these separate single topics. At least for beginners, it is at
least a little bit difficult to look through tutorials with more complexity
like the workbench tutorial.

If there are tutorials available for these topics, it would be nice, if
anybody could send me a link to this tutorial.

Regards,
Michael Wölm

P.S.: I hope my English is not as bad I often think it is... ;)

Posted by Josh Long <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Karthik N <ka...@gmail.com>.
the first four chapters of his book are free, and pretty decent to get you
started on the right track

On 8/15/06, James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:

> Notice that the previous .Net-based example was *free* and Kent Tong's
> book
> is not.  Don't get me wrong, I've got Kent's book and I love it.  But, I
> did
> have to pay for it.  It would be nice if there were free resources out
> there
> that folks could use to get started (and get hooked) using Tapestry.

Thanks, Karthik

RE: what we need: tutorials like this

Posted by Karthik N <ka...@gmail.com>.
get yourself a  copy of Enjoying Web Development with Tapestry by Kent
Tong.  It's got the tutorial approach to tapestry.

On 8/15/06, Gurps <g...@gurpal.co.uk> wrote:

> We need an equivalent set of tutorials very simiar to the asp.net
> quicjkstarts tutorial, but with tapestry. Step by step, building on simple
> examples to more complex ones:
>
> http://www.dotnetjunkies.com/quickstart/aspplus/doc/quickstart.aspx
>
> This would make tapestry easier to work with and gain more popularity!
>
> Cheers

Thanks, Karthik